• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

paint question

Paulw

What is the difference between spraying enamel and acrylics? I usually thin the acrylics down pretty good to keep orange peel down but I have no idea about enamel.

The one thing that will help you a lot with Acrylics is to add a fluid retarder to the mix .That will help with the orange peel.

Enamels thin down the same but take much longer to dry . They also seem to cover better, but why would you want to go back to that ?

I'd take Les's suggestion and thin the enamel more thing and apply really light coats to build up. I know when I do spray enamels I tend to be too thick.

Depends on the enamels Paul. I spray Testor's Model Master and Humbrol enamels. (don't like the acrylics!) I use the Testor's thinner for enamels. I usually mix it paint to thinner 60/40 to 50/50. Seems to work well and I keep the air pressure moderate as I use a valve at the airbrush to regulate my air flow.

I also tend to spray a bit closer than some folks only a couple of inches (hey it ain't a spray can!)

Some paints like Alclad metalizers and primers are mix and spray straight from the bottle.

When I spray acrylics (usually Vallejo these days) they are thinned a lot with just plain water as I use them for weathering, light effects, and such over the enamel base colors. The water drys slower but I can also use the air from the airbrush with paint off to dry it faster as long as it isn't puddled.

well guys I sure thank you for your input. I also asked Paul Budzik the same question in a round about way. I was looking for a better way to get a much higher gloss from a paint job I have coming up in the future. He told me to have a good smooth primer coat followed by burnishing down the surface with a t-shirt and then light color coat followed by a heavier clear coat.

Oh...well you don't say anything about a gloss coat, just enamel. :smack

:mpup

So, whatcha got coming up?

well guys I sure thank you for your input. I also asked Paul Budzik the same question in a round about way. I was looking for a better way to get a much higher gloss from a paint job I have coming up in the future. He told me to have a good smooth primer coat followed by burnishing down the surface with a t-shirt and then light color coat followed by a heavier clear coat.

For polishing, you might also try a coffee filter . Probably not as good as cotton though but maybe good for prior step to cotton.

Back