• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large acrylic case- can I order one in "kit" form?

chukw

Hi, folks- I'm in a bit of a quandary, and Google hasn't been all too helpful. Here's the deal: we have a very open-floor-plan house, which is wonderful, but it comes up short in wall space, closets, etc. We'll be doing some renovations, but in the meantime there's a shelf spanning the landing on our stairs that would make a nice model display area, particularly for my 1/72 U-Boot. Unfortunately any model there would be at the mercy of those who just can't keep their mitts to themselves! ;) I'd like to have an acrylic case span the entire shelf- about 66 x 17 x 15 inches. Getting a case built and shipped would be a whopper of an expense- 300-400 clams! Does anyone know of a service, or can cut the stuff themselves so I could assemble it myself?

Cheers!
chuk

Boob Tax:
12493411_10153726017927906_6634677378061920206_o.jpg

I have no experience with these folks, but they will cut and ship.

http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass_acrylic_sheet

Boob tax? Surely you jest!!!

I know you're on an island, but if you ferry, etc to a mainland with a Home Depot or Lowes, believe it or not, they have a large selection of styrene and Plexi. Cutting can be done with a straight edge and the back side of a box cutter, scored and snapped. I've seen your work, you can handle it. Table saw works too, but is messy.

There are a lot of online plastic suppliers, but they generally charge more in shipping than the product.

If not Plexi, glass is even easier to find and cut, you would just need to build a frame for it to sit in.

Thanks, guys! Moon- that was for Jean Luc "Ted Marmere" Formery. :)

It seems that a "Cat Tax" has become a regular thing in posts, but I'm more a fan of, well, boobs! ;) Those guys are way expensive, but thanks!

Ausf, I'll be heading into Oak Harbor to meet some local modelers in a few, and I'll be going to Home Depot right after. I'll see what I can find, and my bro-in-law does have a table saw.

Many thanks!!

Chuck , see if someone in your area builds custom aquariums .

They should be able to build to your specs :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey, Helios- you're right around the corner! The wife and I took our first trip up to Anacortes just last Thursday. Ever come down Whidbey way? We're in Coupeville.

Christian, I doubt there's any such activity this-a-way, but Home Depot does carry plexi and acrylic sheet. I'll get some along with a saw blade and get to work on my bro-in-law's table saw. I'm getting tired of having all my built-ups in boxes.

Hey, Helios- you're right around the corner! The wife and I took our first trip up to Anacortes just last Thursday. Ever come down Whidbey way? We're in Coupeville.

Christian, I doubt there's any such activity this-a-way, but Home Depot does carry plexi and acrylic sheet. I'll get some along with a saw blade and get to work on my bro-in-law's table saw. I'm getting tired of having all my built-ups in boxes.

I think there are builders in Cal. but not sure where . Still a pretty big place .

Good luck with the sawing. Never figured just how to make that work right. I think people might score and snap instead .

Cheers, Christian B)

I've got a couple friends in Oak Harbor, so I find my way down there a few times a year. Makes for a good excuse to go for a nice drive. B)

If there any shops that do window/glass/mirror repair and replacement they might be able to cut to order.

Cheers,
Rich

If there any shops that do window/glass/mirror repair and replacement they might be able to cut to order.

Cheers,
Rich

I would think that would be your best bet. I have not worked with plexi glass but I used to do some stained glass and I know scoring and breaking a 66" length of glass can be tricky if you are not used to it.

Chuck, good luck on getting this all set up. Once you're done; you need to post pics of your display areas, as well as your new Man Cave!Come on man, git'r done! A lot of us are waiting! :D (y) (y) (y)

Hey Chuck glad things are getting settled in! Have worked a bit with the larger sheets of plexi (acrylic) from Home Depot and Lowes. Sending a PM I can give some pointers. Also go and get a 16oz can of Weldon3. It should be about $12. You will need it to glue the acrylic together. After that you won't need to buy any more Tenax7 because it is basically the same thing and much cheaper. (save the old Tenax bottle though)

get a 16oz can of Weldon3. It should be about $12. You will need it to glue the acrylic together. After that you won't need to buy any more Tenax7 because it is basically the same thing and much cheaper. (save the old Tenax bottle though)

It is???? Gotta get some of this!

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack da' thread. At our Lowe's here is Greenwood SC ('Low' in name only, BTW) They will cut plexi to spec for you for a coupla bucks extra. Food for thought.

Back