• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Need help using MIG Filters

Skinny_Mike

Hi guys! I need a little help. Has anyone used any of the Filters that are available from MIG, AK Interactive, or Ammo of MIG?

MIGP242XXX-2T.jpg

I'm just plain not sure how to use them, what the effect is supposed to end up looking like, or why I would want to use them. Hopefully someone here can give me a bit of a tutorial. I did find some YouTube videos but I'm not really sure they did much to help.

Thanks for the help!
Mike

Hang on Mike i'll show you how I was told to do it way back when and it works for me. I'm busy right now but promise i'll be back a little later.

Tony lee

Will watch with interest. I followed a Mig tutorial and did everything he did. The results were nowhere near the same nor very nice.
James

OK Mike lets see if I can make this as clear as I can. :idonno

First off this technigue is NOT a ONE coat process it's a build up of pigment layers.
You'll need different sizes of flat sharp edge brushes in order to get in and around the details,I use about three widths to do this.

Shake the bottle of filter well so the pigment is in suspension,dip your brush in and then wipe the excess off on the lip of the bottle.

There is still too much filter on your brush so lightly wipe the brush on so newspaper,you want the brush to still be damp and still holding the pigments.

Doing a section at a time pull your brush down the surface leaving a film of filter,the longer the stroke the better and with a single pass. Move over where your next pass will just over lap the first,keep doing this until your brush ceases to leave a solid fluid brush pass.

I used a piece of white card so you can see that you're not leaving much pigment on the surface.

Repeat your brush loading as before and continue applying the filter until you've covered your model with a SINGLE coat.
Next I take a hair dryer on low heat and force dry what I just put on.
Repeat all the above process again and again until you're happy with the results. Depending on the color of the filter some colors require multiple coats were as say the Blue Gray for early gray schemes are pretty strong and you need only a couple of coats.

"Remember layering is the key."
You're not painting the model you're just altering the color or colors to add depth and variation.

After you're happy with the results let it dry for a couple of days more before applying your clear coat for decals and washes.

Any questions Mike?
Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

James the first time I tried filters it was a DAK scheme and it turned out orange :bang head ,that's when I looked for some HELP. I had a heck of a time getting it off before I could start over.

Tony lee

To add to Tony's expert advice, I'll add that filters go on best over a matte base. Gloss is too "slippery", and the paint solution will flow into and around seams, etc, like a wash. The rough tooth of a flat surface catches the thin film and holds in in place across open surfaces, which is what you want. If the Filter is solvent-based, apply it over an acrylic flat coat. Acrylic filter is fine over acrylic flat, but would be more easily removable over a solvent-based flat coat. Clear? :soldier

The older MIG AK filter directions tells you to apply over Tamiya only but AMMO brand filter for best results to apply over a satin clear coat.
I'm thinking AMMO recommends the the satin coat because all people don't use Tamiya.

Tony lee :eek:ldguy

I agree Tony is spot on with his expert advice. Another way to do it is to use oil paints diluted to a watery consistency. You can use turpenoid I use zippo lighter fluid. The trick is still light thin coats over a matt finish. You can gradually change the base color. Also the same mix makes a great pin wash. :drinks

First off - Uncle Tony - thanks for taking the time to put that answer/demo together. And Chuck and Engineer - thanks you as well for your advice. I really appreciate you guys taking he time to help me out.

So the end result is to not have an even coat of the filter, right? There should be variation in the finish? Almost like streaks if you will?

Well yeah you could say that. On multi color schemes it will soften the edges and blend the colors for a softer transition between colors.

Tony lee

Great answers guys :drinks

always good to read a refresher course, been so long since I've done a filter. :bang head

Back