• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AK Chipping Fluid, test #1

iambrb

Ok, so I did get my little package from AK products, and I broke out Bubba, my old T-55 test mule. As you can see, Bubba has really been thru alot! So here in the first pic, you can see that I brushed on some of the AK Red Primer, then I let it dry about 30 minutes, then I applied the chipping fluid:

Ok, then I broke out the tamiya Paint in the german yellow, and brushed a bit of it on:

And after another 15 mintues, I wet a brush and scrubbed it off.:

As you can sort of see (sorry about the picture quality), this was not too successful. I am not sure if it was a case of not wetting the brush and the product properly, or that it does not work well with tamiya acrylic paint. it was REALLY tough to remove, and I wound up actually scrubbing a bit too hard, and going thru all the paint to the plastic (ooops! meant to say Styrene) underneath. I am not at all happy with this. :vmad Tomorrow I am going to try it again, and also with the same 'Creme' color as Iron Mike used it in his plum-purty Wespe. Will publish more (and hopefullly better focused) pics then!

If your results have been different or if you have some pointers, please post 'e, and I will take 'em!

I wish I could help you Bruce but I've never used the stuff, but I don't think it worked very well, how about a post of the destructions?

Dear Bruce.

Try to scrub under water...I always make in this way with good results...and another point: airbrushing,instead hand brushing!

Best!

Luiz

As Luiz stated, airbrushing is key.

I haven't used AK primers, but assume they're close to Vallejo, where the best practice is a few thin light coats allowed to dry overnight before base coating.

And the top coats are supposed to be as thin as possible to carry the color, that's how pre-shading works. I would imagine even more so for chipping fluid to work.

Hand brushing large areas (as opposed to wet edge figure shading) is pretty hard to pull off, I get that it's just a test, but tests should be the same as your intended method.

If you are going to hand brush, you might be better off just painting the under color, whether it's steel or primer, and then painting the top coat up to the edge, leaving the chip blank. My favorite method of chipping armor, is to paint normally, then scrape off where the chip would be and then float some thin steel. That way it's actually three dimensional, with an edge. It's tedious and wouldn't work if you were covering large areas like a Zero, but for wear around hatches, etc, it's fine.

Do you have an airbrush?

Try thinning the Tamiya with water for your topcoat.

I'm still working on this technique myself, using hairspray.

Tom

Do you have an airbrush?

Try thinning the Tamiya with water for your topcoat.

I'm still working on this technique myself, using hairspray.

Tom

Hello - I do have an airbrush, a Paasche VL. Am going to get/in need of a bit more training on how to thin my paints properly, going to do a bit of owrk on that tomorrow with 'Sir Pup' (MP)

Did you seal the undercoat of red primer before applying the chipping fluid ?

I am curious as Im going to be using chipping fluid in very near future

and yes Tamiya is horrible to brush unless you thin it very well

I add some Vallejo to it and thin with water if i have something small to do ( I have been chastised by other forums for doing this because they say you cant do it ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well I do and I have )

Hello Andy! No I did not seal it and it did work quite well, you can see it in use in my thread for the sdkfz.251 that is in Uncle Tony's SPG's campaign. Unfotuantely, I totally goofed and painted the interior the wrong color!!! :bang head so I stripped it and am going to do it again soon, but into other stuff right now. I will add that I have a tendency to lay the chipping fluid too thick using the airbrush (maybe 'cause I am a beginner) so when I do the re-do, I am going to try strategically brushing it where I want the chipping effect to take place.

I will say that it worked very surprisingly well though, but standing there doing this at the kitchen sink was a bit of an odd experience. I would suggest waiting until the missus is in the back. makes for less explaining.

PS - I am looking over your face painting vids now, going to be trying these this morning!

Cool thanks for the info and as regards the videos please let me know how you get on and shout if you need any help

Back