• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chipping Fluids

Skinny_Mike

Hey guys - I need a little help. Has anyone used any of these new chipping fluids that are all the rage? I am wondering if they work with enamels or if you have to use acrylic paint to get the effect? Rumor is they work with Tamiya paints, but I am really curious about my white ensign colorcoats. Trying not to waste the WEM paints since they are OOB. :(

Any assistance sure would be helpful!

Thanks
Mike

WEM paints are still in production. A European company owns the colocoats now. I think they are available in the US too. Try Freetime Hobbies.

They are now called Sovereign Hobbies Aircraft Colourcoats. H & B Hobbies are importing and distributing in CONUS. Their website is H & B Hobbies

I have not ordered from them so I cannot vouch for their service.

I have the Vallejo, but haven't tried it yet.

Honestly, any of those, including the salt technique, can all simply be created with masking, since that's what the fluid is doing anyhow. Liquid latex is ideal for it, it is natural rubber, dries quickly and peels off with little fuss since it's used for mold making.

Dang they just opened Sept this year. So who's first?

Opps, sorry Mike, you were asking about Chipping solutions. I've never done it so I defer to others.

If you want to see a VRY good rendition/use of the AK Interactive product, search for "Wespe" that Iron Mike did recently

I am with the engineer mate you can still get a good enough job done with a cheap bottle of hairspray from the Dollaroonie store

Oh and they work only on acrylics

I am unsure what you would use for enamels to get the same effect

Ok - well good news that WEMs are back. Bad news that I can't use my chipping fluid.

I've tried the salt technique and the liquid mask technique and honestly wasn't thrilled with the end result. May I'll give it a try again.

I'm guessing that hairspray only works with acrylics also?

Thanks for the help guys.
Mike

I have used rubber cement, hair spray and Vallejo. While I still feel I'm in the learning curve still this what I have found.

The rubber cement worked good with enamels and acrylics on some Shermans. I applied it with a piece of copper wire. Took some time but really liked the results, but could not very fine scratches and chips.

The hair spray I have only used with acrylics a couple of times (once on a Type 74) and I did not like it all that much. I probably need to play with it more. I would use it if I wanted most of the base coat to show. It seemed to work best at that for me.

I used Vallejo once on my Panzer III and really liked it. I felt I had better control over it compared to the hair spray.

I once sprayed hair spray though the airbrush on one side of an old scrap model and sprayed the other side with Vallejo to compare before doing the white wash on my Panzer III. I have learned with the Vallejo you have to work in small areas only. I may have not let the hair spray sit long enough on this test.

The secret to the hairspray is to use a really cheap one. I use the suave #8 in the pump bottle. I run I straight through the air brush and do a couple of light coats and dry each one with a hair dryer.the secret to getting good chipping effects is to use an acrylic paint over it. Work in small areas setting the paint with a bit of water and a variety of tools ranging from a short bristled paint brush to a tooth pick for smaller chips.

I first used chipping fluid on this T34/76 tank.The basic paint job was done with Tamiya "Acrylics".
Works for me.

T_DONE_5.jpg

Gr,Ron.

Back