• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Looking for...

Gator

I looking for plastic coated wire, specifically .080. I need to scratch build the gurney for my USN ambulance.

We coat wire at our plant for the hoses we make. I'll check with one of our engineers if we have any.

What about a plastic coated coat hanger. Wire is a scratch builders best friend. There are soamy uses and your ambulance is so cool anyway. Adding those details will take it over the top

That's fairly small, right Kenny? 0.080 wire size, I'm thinking the wire inside a piece of telephone hook up wire. but if it is 80 thousandths probably some #6 gauge wire should be right. :hmmm :idonno (y)

I may not be calling it by the right name. There was a hobby shop in Houston that sold this type of styrene rod that was styrene on the outside with a wire core. You could bend it without heating it up. I don't know if regular wire with a plastic insulation will work.

I'll keep digging and maybe I have explained what I am looking for better.

I know what you are talking about, have some buried "someplace" but have no clue where. I think it might have been made by plastruct at one time.

My suggestion would be to use brass and solder.

I know what you are talking about, have some buried "someplace" but have no clue where. I think it might have been made by plastruct at one time.

My suggestion would be to use brass and solder.
That means I need to learn how to solder. :(

Oh well. No time like the present.

It's fun, and painful at the same time. What are you trying to make, one of those mesh type gurneys?

Plastruct makes two sizes of Butyrate coated wire, 3/64[sup]"[/sup] and 1/16[sup]"[/sup]. They also sell brass wire sized to fit inside their 3/32[sup]"[/sup] and 1/8[sup]"[/sup] Butyrate tube. Check under Tubes & Fittings in their catalog, Plastruct Catalog.

Cheers,
Rich

It's fun, and painful at the same time. What are you trying to make, one of those mesh type gurneys?

Yes I am Bob. I've got a 35w soldering iron and some lead free solder. I just need a holder and some flux. I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Water based, easy clean up. What are you soldering? Did you find some wire? I didn't see the engineer today, will track him down tomorrow.

Water based, easy clean up. What are you soldering? Did you find some wire? I didn't see the engineer today, will track him down tomorrow.
Bob, I'm going to be soldering 3/32 brass tubing from Hobby Lobby. Renee and I are going to learn to solder this weekend.

I thought Plastruct made some :idonno

http://www.plastruct.com/

Web site is not the easiest to use, but you might try calling

Rock on, Kenny! Here's a link worth checking out.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/yasuyuki-watanabe

He makes it look easier than it is, but a good skill to learn.

:drinks

Back