• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MIG's weathering powders...what are they made of?

iambrb

What are these made of, anyway????

I ask because I have been looking some neat tutorials on Youtube (youtube will get a fella in trouble, lemme tell ya!) and I keep seeing these used and think “pretty Dad-Gum neat!” then I look at the cost and say ‘oof!’ So today I was nosing around hobby Lobby and noticed that they have compressed acrylic ‘chalks.’ Is this what Migs Weathering Powders are made of? I ask because the cost is a fraction of Mig’s, and I am nothing if not cheap!

MIG's weather ing powders...what ae they made of?

Mig's or any other weathering pigments whether marketed in 17ml jars or 80lbs bags are all the same. Most colors are oxides, some are carbons.

You can find them cheaper in bulk, Mig's genius is in his blends and marketing.

You can use dry pastels, ground up chalks or anything else right up to and including dry dirt if you'd like. Commercial pigments just offer consistency and convenience.

You can get great rust by wetting steel wool and letting nature do it's thing. Great metal effects can be had with scraped pencil graphite.

I weathered my Pz II with various earth tone artists pastels. The lower chassis "dirt" was mixed with water and dabbed on. Areas that had too much build up were rubbed with a dry brush after they had dried. The upper surface was "dusted" with powder using make-up brushes. A final spray matt coat will help set them in place.

Finish1.jpg

Finish7.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Very nice Rich! (y)

Here is a video on Chalk Washes: https://youtu.be/TinSfRd983U

I used Pastel Chalks in the past but I'm a convinced user of using genuine pigments.Try to find them in the Artist Supply Shops to save some money compared to the well known brands like MIG Productions,Vallejo and so on.

Gr,Ron.

Bruce Hobby Lobby has the pigments, either in the pastel chalks or the jars, can't remember the brand name of the jars of stuff. Seem like they would go along way.

Bruce Hobby Lobby has the pigments, either in the pastel chalks or the jars, can't remember the brand name of the jars of stuff. Seem like they would go along way.

Well if I can ever get a day off, we may have to go up there

Nice to have a job to make mortgage payments...but the job pretty much sucks

Back