• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

OptiVisor

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Who is using one of these?

I'm looking at getting one for painting figures in 1/35 scale. Not sure what magnification to get.

Also has anyone added light(s) to theirs?

It's great tool for modeling. You'll see a lot of stuff that usually only shows up when you take photos. ;)

Don't get too crazy with magnification, concentrate on the focal distance specs since that's what you're going to end up holding your work.

I have a Zeiss set that is fantastic, but I have to hold the work about 3 inches from my nose. That's no good for soldering. :D

I have a light but usually don't use it for modeling/sculpting, the spot produced is pretty bright at the distances I use, it ends up more like something in a dentist office; a hot, bright, concentrated light. What I ended up doing instead was taking a normal work/art lamp and removing the bell shaped reflector and just wrapped the bulb housing with plastic card as a shade (LED bulb so it doesn't get hot) so I can get it in close. I was getting tired of smacking the headloupe against the light everytime I moved because it rang out like a boxing bell.

I've used the Optivisor with a #4 lens so long, I can't remember when I bought it. Jeff's right about the focal length, the 4 was just right to increase my vision and still have my hands at the comfortable work height. Since my retina issues popped up, I'm looking for something stronger. I'll follow along here to see other responses. B)

The only suggestion I have would be to find a carry hobby shop that carries them and try them out ( if at all possible ).

Every one eyes are different . but I have been using a # 7 for years .

Cheers, Christian B)

I bought one a few years ago and now I can't imagine modeling without it. My eyes have gotten so bad now that I don't think that I could. I don't remember the brand but I have a 7x lens which means I have to bold my work pretty close. Most good ones you can buy extra lenses and swap them out as needed but I imagine that you'll just end up using the one that you feel most comfortable with. Try them out and see what works for you. Haven't tried one with lights on it so can't comment on that. The work bench light is good enough for me.

I have one with the #4 lens in it as well. Have had it and used it for about 25 years. Has about a 4 inch focal depth which works well for soldering, painting, and a lot of other things. I also added a loupe lens to it which flips down in front. (an Optivisor accessory) There are times when it helps though I finally modified it so it was over more in the center of my focus on my left eye. (right handed left eye dominant)

I wear the damn thing to read pill bottles and small text these days too. If I am home it usually is on my head.

Everybody is different, but a magnifying between 3 to 5 is usually ok, unless you have specific problems.
I have a 3, and the working distance is about 5-6 inches for me.
The lights worked out to be more a handicap then a help, I dismounted them, they caused nothing but interfering shadows.
A good daylight lamp is a must and is sufficient for me.
Hope that helps.

Willem

I got a 5 for normal every day model usage and a 10 for doing figure faces

Dont forget you can purchase lenses separately and swop em out when required

I cant imagine modeling without them now

:coolio

I got a 5 for normal every day model usage and a 10 for doing figure faces

Dont forget you can purchase lenses separately and swop em out when required

I cant imagine modeling without them now

:coolio

Welcome to old timer modeling Andy . Had to replace mine once but only bought the same # 7 lens

Glad you like them .Cheers, Christian B)

I have the donagans #4 with a loop if I need it ...... I have found that looking though one of those magnifiying lights will mess with your eyes....... Where the donagans.... Are more like looking thru a pair of binoculars..... I love the #4 set of lenses ..... Plus you can change them if nessicary ..... :eek:ldguy

I hope you guys understand how ridiculous we all look while wearing these things. :D

Maybe it's time for an Opti-photo thread? :captain

I hope you guys understand how ridiculous we all look while wearing these things. :D

Maybe it's time for an Opti-photo thread? :captain

Doc_Brown_2.jpg

B)

I went and ordered some from Amazon. Might have to get different lens not sure, but it's a start.

Thanks guys for your replies :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

My wife reminds me every time she catches me wearing it. :blush:

FWIW - I have a 5 lens in mine, just upgraded from a 3. The 5 seems to be just right for me...

Back