• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Canopy interior...

ausf

Master at Arms
Please bring forth the tricks.

I kinda rushed it on the Hellat and hand brushed it over masks with middling results. I plan on (this is a 109) masking, spraying black primer, then multiple coats of RLM66 to build up the appearance of framework.

Any tips or better methods?

And, with dipping the canopy in Future, is it that simple, just dunk and set it up to drip off and dry? How long should I wait afterward before I mask? Or should I bother to dip it at all if the styrene is in good shape?

So many questions... :facepalm

Thanks!

All sorts of techniques we can do with canopies. The one I favor right now is stripped decal paper. Take clear decal paper, paint the interior color then exterior, cut to width and put it on the frame. I think it adds a bit more than just paint on top of clear.

Doing the Future seal is basically that easy. Want to get a clean paper towel to wick the extra Future off then cover with a glass or something to keep dust getting on it till it's cured. Give it a good 24 hour cure time before messin' with it.

Depending on the canopy I've even double masked it before, inside and out but that can get tricky. Mask both sides, paint both sides black then the interior color on the inside, exterior on the out. Turned out nice the two or three times I've done it.

Looking forward to seeing what others are doing :popcorn

Using decal paper sounds very interesting. I have both clear and that Evan's paper that doesn't require sealing. It's thicker than some of today's decals, but that works to the advantage here. :hmmm

I might try that of the interior, at least on this build. Exterior camo pattern and all, I'd rather AB, plus Eduard provides all the masking...

One thing I found with the future is if you leave it soak a bit it gives better results than just in / out. A couple of minutes. Then let it wick off on a clean paper towel and let dry in a dust free environment. Minimum 24 hours but I leave mine for a few days and seems to work much better.
As MP said mask in and out for best results. Eduard usualy gives a mask. If not tape or look on line for a mask. Montex is awesome.
James

Jeff, since you only live a couple of miles away from me, the weather is the same. In this humidity and temperature, I would wait a week for a rock hard cure.

The previous posters have the technique. My own tidbit would be to paint the edges a dark, almost black, gray to simulate rubber seals (US & Commonwealth would get a touch of brown for natural rubber while Axis is gray for synthetic rubber, same as with their tires).

Montex masks (because they provide inside and outside masking shapes) or painted clear decal paper. Aeromaster used to make decal sheets specifically for this purpose and were double printed with the interior and exterior colors. They do show up on eBay from time to time.

Thicker decal is best for the inside and make the frames a touch narrower than the outside for a better external appearance.

Regards,

Just to show all your advice is appreciated as well as heeded, here lies the canopy parts for the next few days at least.

I thought it was only fitting to cover them with the glass Eduard provided, which by the way, really is crystal.

h4927353.jpg

I thought it's suppose to be filled with beer? :drinks

Yeah, but it's not big enough for a Guinness and I haven't switched over to summer beer yet. It's screaming for a Stella with the gold rim, but I'll find a nice appropriate Weiss or Bock for it by the time I finish the kit. :drinks

Back