• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Painting with Giovanni: fleshtones"

Re: Painting with Giovanni

This looks like a great opportunity to learn some more about painting figures. Can't wait to see everyone's efforts. I'll try to do something, I may play catchup later. Thanks for posting this Gioazz!

Re:Painting with Giovanni

Bob,

Thanks so much for helping me out with the HTML and impagination.

Guys, I really hope you will join and we can have fun.

Ciao

Giovanni

I'm in Giovanni. But I dont have any American troops. I have a ton of Dragon German troops etc, and all the metal figures I've been collecting. Will any of those work or are you doing something specific. Also what blue and red do you use? Is the mixture by guess or by golly or do you have a formula? Thanks in advance.
James

jknaus wrote:
I'm in Giovanni. But I dont have any American troops. I have a ton of Dragon German troops etc, and all the metal figures I've been collecting. Will any of those work or are you doing something specific. Also what blue and red do you use? Is the mixture by guess or by golly or do you have a formula? Thanks in advance.
James

Ciao James,

Glad to have you on bord.

Going to your questions, any figures you have is good, pick the one you like the most, any scale will be good as well.

I will paint this tanker, which color of the uniform will be OD and khakish color, plus a red scarf and green and leather helmet.

You can pick a figure with similar tones or something completely different and we can paint it togheter, keep in mind that I've on my bench other 3 figures, of which the main colors are RED, DARK BLUE and WHITE so, I can switch to best suit your needs.

As for the blu and red, don't have any particular mix, I just add little tiny bit at the time until I'm happy.

You can easily use a premix deep skintones from Vallejo or Andrea, will be good as well.

Ciao

Giovanni

Most of my figures are ancients. I have a Beneito Waterloo
90-8-1.JPG

which I was saving for when I got good. Thats about it for red.

Or I have a 75mm Pegaso Models Officer 1st Reg. Light Horse Lancer of Line 1811 in green
b2b_PEG_75-044_1.jpg

that should get here in the next week.

Either of those good?

James

Hi James,

both of them are good and large scale, therefore easier to detail.

You can eve start with one of the german figure you have, really, anything goes.

Now, start to clean up the piece, put the primer and start to follow the steps!

I'm waiting!

Giovanni

Okay a couple of dragon figures.
face1_20100723_1385078030.png

Used sunny flesh, English Uniform, Cadmium red, dark sky blue.

James

James,

This is excellent, your fleshtone base is great for a nordic type skin colour.

Tonight I'll post the rest of the article, do you have oils colours?

You will need the following:

Ivory black
Raw umber
Burnt Sienna
Naple's tellow deep
Titanium White
violet
red
green or blue

I use Windsor and Newton for all of them except the Naple's yellow which is Maimeri.

Let me know what you got.

Ciao

Giovanni

gioazz wrote:
James,

This is excellent, your fleshtone base is great for a nordic type skin colour.

Tonight I'll post the rest of the article, do you have oils colours?

You will need the following:

Ivory black
Raw umber
Burnt Sienna
Naple's tellow deep
Titanium White
violet
red
green or blue

I use Windsor and Newton for all of them except the Naple's yellow which is Maimeri.

Let me know what you got.

Ciao

Giovanni

The only one I am missing is violet. I have diozinine purple though. My paints are Windsor and Newton, and Grunbacher.
James

Hi James,

The purple is good as well, if you don't like it, mix red and blue with a touch of white and your are done.

Wait for me to post the rest of the article and thanks a lot for following.

Ciao

Giovanni

Painting with Giovanni STEP 2

Jolly good,

Now is time to start with the second step, oil colours! This topic will be made by 2 posts, but try to resist before you start to paint until the very last end, you need wet oils to be able to perform this technique, for the time being just read it.

First of all I’ll show you the palette I use, well is not really mine, this is from Danilo Cartacci’s book, he’s better than me in taking pictures, but I do exactly what he does.

palette_20100724_1050537263.jpg

Colours are clockwise ,from darker to lighter: Ivory Black, Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Naples Deep, Titanium White.

In the middle you’ll find red and violet; the blue on the side, can be any colour you want to paint the eyes (I've actually used green for this figure).

Now mix colours from darker to lighter, starting from Raw Umber, leave the Black aside for the moment.

Done? Now start to mix anticlockwise from Burnt Sienna back to Ivory Black. Last but not least mix the red and the violet with the all lot. Of course use white and black to lighten and darken the “eye” colour.

Easier to see from the picture than to explain it in words!

Now, take a really dark shade (black raw umber mix) from the palette and paint the part under the eyebrows, and under the nose.

06_20100724_1810682197.jpg

07_20100724_1066590945.jpg

Take the almost black shade and outline the upper part of the eye, think like a lady who’s using an eyeliner (if you are a lady is easier!!) under the upper lid edge .

08_20100724_1677106526.jpg

Now, take a light shade (towards the naples yellow/white mix) and paint the upper eyelid.

09_20100724_1636499126.jpg

10_20100724_1979841453.jpg

11_20100724_2048622701.jpg

Great! Is time to paint the eyes and the lower lid. Take the colour you choose, in this case green, make a dot with the dark shade. A little trick, to paint straight eyes: use the mouth’s edges as reference and centre the eyes with those, also DON'T USE WHITE to paint the eyeball, I actually paint the eye straight on the base acrylic color on thefigures up to the 90mm.

Using white keep on lighten the green toward the center, you can even put a small dot with pure white.

To paint the lower lid, using a mid shade mix. You can darken the lower lid shade towards the nose.

12_20100724_1735614601.jpg

13_20100724_2088204499.jpg

14_20100724_2048817766.jpg

Last but not least trace a very fine line on the upper edge of the lower lid with a very light mix, almost white to outline the eyes

15_20100724_1913353915.jpg

Well, I think this will take you busy for quite a while, tomorrow the rest.

Thanks again for following, and please share with me your progress.

Ciao

Giovanni

Re: Painting with Giovanni STEP 2

Most interesting. I wish I was ready to attempt this technique. I for one will be coming back to study this often.

B) :) Great stuff Giovanni. I haven't got a figure ready at present but will still be following your class.

Really good idea as figures are the hardest part of a dio for me. I am always ready to pick up new and better ways of figure painting.

Ian.

Hi guys,

I'm glad you are following this thread with interest.

@ Ian and Bob, I hope you can join us soon, and anyway, I'll be always here if you need any help.

@ James, I suppose you could use another dark earth tones, what do you have in house?

I'm going to post the rest of the article in a few minutes.

Ciao

Giovanni

As promised here we are again with the face of this lovely guy.

Let's put some color on the nose; first take a mid shadow tone, similar to the one used for the lower eyelid and paint the side and the bottom of the nose.

16_20100725_1028111278.jpg

17_20100725_1414027737.jpg

Once this is done, add a very light highlight (similar to the one used for the upper lid) on the top of the nose close to the forehead and on the top of the nostrils.

18_20100725_1749516280.jpg

19_20100725_1379486536.jpg

20_20100725_2088384915.jpg

Keep in mind that to keep the highest highlight when using oil, the trick is to deposit the color where you want to have the maximum highlight and blend from there in a downward motion.

Blend the two tones together as shown in the picture above.

Now is time to paint the face, take a mid reddish shadow and place it from the edge of the cheekbone going down 3/4 of the face, then place a mid/light highlight to the upper part of the cheekbone

21_20100725_1445883815.jpg

22_20100725_1827544029.jpg

23_20100725_1716943895.jpg

Time to start the blending making sure that the highlight blends in a downward motion toward the shadow, NOT ALL THE WAY AROUND! Blend until you are happy and add more highlight color if you fancy it, especially where the cheekbone moves to the hears.

Put the same shadow on the temple and the same highlight where the eyebrows are and mix the same way.

24_20100725_2058703131.jpg

25_20100725_1693240984.jpg

26_20100725_1736367267.jpg

We are almost done, the last bit will be on 5 o'clock shadow and final touch up.

To make the 5 o'clock shadow, all you need to do, is to mix same black, Raw Umber and light flesh tone mix and obtain a greysh color.

Place this where the beard should be, so chin, mustache area..... now, take the light flesh tone mix and place it on the upper edge of the upper lip, on top of the chine, on top of the mustache area, but is easier to see the pictures to understand

27_20100725_1199621666.jpg

28_20100725_1043226738.jpg

29_20100725_2057651193.jpg

Once the colours are in place, start the blending, as usual the highlights on a downward motion towards the shadows so you will keep the tone spotless.

Once done, place a mix of violet, red and raw umber on all the upper lip and on the edge of the lower, same really light flesh tone in the center of the lower lip and blend it with the color on the edge.

That's should be your result

30_20100725_1658347143.jpg

31_20100725_1889303283.jpg

32_20100725_1799587321.jpg

33_20100725_1034567227.jpg

Now paint the base color for the helmet (or hair if is the case) with a dark colour and check the contrast in your work, you may now adjust the tones with enforcing highlights or shadows, you may also add a tiny bit of red (really tiny spot) on the cheeks and blend it to have a more reddish flesh tone.

Hope you enjoy it, now is time to paint the rest of the figures, unless you have any requests in particular, about a colour or technique you would like to understand better.

Also let me show the figure with the base colour for the helmet, jacket and scarf, to get a better idea.

34_20100725_1926634565.jpg

35_20100725_1452875029.jpg

36_20100725_1430089232.jpg

And don't forget to share your work!

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni, a stupid question for you. Could you demonstraqte how you mixed your pallet? Mine looked nothing like yours when I was done. Also I have to choose a bigger subject. My eyes cant seem to do the 1/35 face. Thanks in advance.
James

jknaus wrote:
Giovanni, a stupid question for you. Could you demonstraqte how you mixed your pallet? Mine looked nothing like yours when I was done. Also I have to choose a bigger subject. My eyes cant seem to do the 1/35 face. Thanks in advance.
James

Hi James,

Thanks for your post.

How to mix color: well I take an old brush, I would say a number 1 or 2 (but really anything goes) and start to push half of each colour outside.

I then start to move each colour into the next with a whirling motion, you will see that by the time you get to the white you have one degrading shade of colour starting from dark ending in whitish.

Don't worry if it doesn't look like the one from Danilo's book, the important thing is to have many different shade that you can pick up.

Maybe if you post your palette, we can check togheter if this is fine.

As for the figure, go large, don't worry anything you like and you think is suitable for you, is fine!

Looking forward to se your progress and always here to help.

Ciao

Giovanni

Giovanni, the remarkable progress you made painting the face, was that one session of painting?

Back