• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ammo of Mig paints - somebody tested?

Arturius

Hello mates
Along the years I decide work only with Tamiya Acrylics and Humbrol Enamel.
Recentely caught my eye the paints os Ammo, somebody has already tested it?
I look for informations or comparations between the acrylics and enamel. What your tought about it?

Cheers
Art

My first batch of Modern Russian paints as not very good. Could not get a good covering. My second batch is much better so far. My WWI French paints were pretty darned good also.
So here the green was good.

DSC04526.JPG

DSC04527.JPG

DSC04528.JPG

DSC04529.JPG

This one the other colours not so good.

DSC04413.JPG

DSC04414.JPG

DSC04415.JPG

But I did get through okay.

And here the red brown is good.

DSC04958.JPG

DSC04957.JPG

But I havent finished it yet to know about the others. The wood and tool set is good. I have another 3 or 4 sets to try. Overall pretty happy, but did have problems with some of the paints. My second set of Modern Russian colours is the newer one with a steel ball agitator in it and it seems better than the original. Hope that is of some use to you.
James

Thank you very much James! Was exactly the help I need, from a modeller that I know and his ability's, to make a comparation of the product. Looking good, maybe next month I make a order to try the new ones :hmmm

But 2 more questions James:
1 - Yours're acrylics or enamel?
2 - Make a comparison with Tamiya, saying that Tamiya it's 10, to Ammo what your grade?

Cheers
Art

These are acrylics and would be comparable to Vallejo. From what I have learned in the past year the Tamiya paints are a lacquer based acrylic while the Vallejo /Mig / Andrea are true acrylics. I use Tamiya and Vallejo and Mig paints based on what I am doing. I feel confident using Tamiya without a primer and occasionally use it as a primer. I found out the hard way that the others need a primer coat first or they don't settle well and will actually pull up if tape is used or rough handling done. Not really what you asked. If you are building the Spitfires I personally would use Tamiya. If you are doing Russian armour I think the Ammo of Mig is great. If you're doing German armour I would use either vallejo or mig or Tamiya, whatever is handy. Some people have had some fantastic results with the AK modulation paints, but there are too many steps for me. I just cant sit through 6 or 7 paint jobs like that. Maybe someone else can step in and give their thoughts also?
James

maybe not exactly, but of a great help! (y)
And open another dimension that I wasn't thinking about.

Thanks mate. :drinks

Back