• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Head painting diary

cybergrenadier

Hep allianceers; I do a lot of head painting these times, and take a lot of WIP pics while working. I share that w. you guys.

That one is from Hornet (1/35), started today; yet WIP, hope to finish it tomorrow.

Hornet_youg_guy_WIP1JPG.JPG

Hornet_youg_guy_WIP2JPG.JPG

Hornet_youg_guy_WIP3JPG.JPG

Cheers
cg

Hi allianceers ; thank you all for the nice comments and apologizes for late reply.

Some of you guys wished to have more details about how that stuff was painted, so basically it is all done in acrylics, by applying 4 highlights and 4 shades on a quite neutral basecoat. I usually apply highlights and shades in a 1st pass to draw the main characteristics of the face, and then I blend all tones together to get smooth transitions. For some reasons I’ve repainted that head from 0 and took some progress pics all along the process; I’ll arrange that in a kind of SBS and will post it later on this week.

Here’s the color recipe; the mid-tone (basecolor) is applied w. the airbrush, and I like to add 1 drop or 2 of diluted X21 flat base in my mixes to keep them as flat as possible.

basecolor: sand yellow (50%), b. skin tone (20%), dark brown (10%), orange (10%), cadmium red (10%)
highlight agent: b. skin tone
shade agent: dark brown (50%), cadmium red (50%)

highlights:
1st : 75% b. color + 25% h. agent
2nd: 50% b. color + 50% h. agent
3rd : 25% b. color + 75% h. agent
4th: 100% h. agent

shades:
1st : 85% b. color + 15% s. agent
2nd : 75% b. color + 25% s. agent
3rd: 50% b. color + 50% s. agent
4th: 25% b. color + 75% s. agent

Hope this helps.
c-g

Hello allianceers; it's been a while so far.

Another head experience on the Alpine #35032. Unfortunately I ruined that one before I could finish it :(. I've saved the following progress pics from the disaster. It's been made after the colors and schedule depicted above in the thread.

Highlights application (4 layered highlights):

sbs_highlights1.JPG
sbs_highlights2.JPG

Shades application (3 layered shades) + a lot of blending:

alpine_tanker1.JPG
alpine_tanker2.JPG

To be continued...
c-g

Hep Allianceers;

Yet another one, started today (Alpine #35057, Max Wünsche).You see it wip, treated w. highlights only + very light shades on the cheeks, and no blending at all (You still can see the basecoat on the cap). I've applied really heavy highlights (close to white for the strongest) but so far it seems to work. Tomorrow night I'll apply all shades and then go in the blending/tidying-up process.

I've identified a decent host for that head, the set #WZ3504 from Miniature Alliance; if everything goes fine I'll drop more shot of the head installed on the figure later on.

Hope you like it

c-g

MaxWunsche1_wip.JPG
MaxWunsche2_wip.JPG

MaxWunsche3_wip.JPG

Hi all, and thx for your encouraging posts.

I've been granted some bench time yesterday, so here's the progress after some more shade application and a bit of blending. Looking at these pics it seems to me I've lost a bit of the mouth characteristics (which I think make all the personality of this face), I have kto take care of that. Next time I'll paint the cap to check where I'm going w. the contrast.

@Giovanni: hopefully the pics are better :); the eyes are hadrly visible because almost entirely hidden under the cap's visor.

c-g

MaxW2wip.JPG

MaxW1wip.JPG

MaxW3wip.JPG

Superb painting skills

I love the seemless blending, absolutely superb

An inspiration to us all, CyberG !!!!!

Back