• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 Verlinden German Winter Infantrymen

Adam Baker

Figured I'd join in on this, no clue if I'll actually manage to finish these or not.

I've decided to do a pair of German winter dress infantrymen that will go w/ the Flakpanzer Kugelblitz that I'm working on.

And the obligatory images

flak_figures_01.jpg

flak_figures_02.jpg

Haha, I guess I'll have to make sure to get them done, haha. Guess it also means I have to get my tank finished too, haha.

A little bit of progress. Got the casting blocks cut off, and started sanding. Found out when cutting the parts apart, that the figures are exactly the same, except for the heads, which surprised me quite a bit. Trying to decide if I want to try altering either figure, so that they arent exactly the same, or if I might want to use different figures for my tank, but unfortunately I dont have any other winter figures. But either way, I'll keep plugging away on 'em.

flak_figures_03.jpg

Well, unfortunately taht was kind of the plan. I was going to have them standing like they were talking or something, at the front or side of the tank, just to give the whole scene a little bit more visual interest.

I guess I'll look around at what else I can find for winter troops, and go from there.

What about having them talking to each other? One facing the viewer and the other one with his back to the viewer or at a 3/4 turn toward the other guy,just not a full frontal.

Tony lee

Found out when cutting the parts apart, that the figures are exactly the same, except for the heads, which surprised me quite a bit.

flak_figures_03.jpg

Hey,Adam that's typical for the early Verlinden figures.
Many times they had 2 figure kits with the torso and/or legs the same but heads and arms different.
Verlinden does have kits with separate arm/legs and hands,heads,weapons to convert your figures.

http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/index.php?cPath=41_152

The MG42 has the cooling holes on the barrelhousings top,that was kind of a novelty when they got released at that time.

Looking forward to this build! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Cool, thanks for the link Ron. I'll definitely have to look into that. The figures dont have to be drastically different, but if I just had different arms, it would look a whole lot better.

Adam,

Another option is to saw the figures arms,and save the glove parts.
The rest of the arm could be SCULPTED using Magic Sculpt or some other 2part epoxy putty.

Having sad that...I am not that keen on sculpting my self.It's just a suggestion. ;)

Greetings,Ron.

I thought about that option, but its something I've never attempted before, so I dont think I'll do it here. However, I have probably a couple dozen DML plastic figures, that I might give it a shot w/. I know i've seen lots of amazing modifications by some great builders, that give me ideas on how to do it.

Adam,

Using DML arms for the Verlinden ones might be difficult.
Although the Verlinden box says it's 1/35....it's more like 1/32the difference might be too big.
[Verlinden is notorious for that]
Put a Verlinden figure next to a Dragon one,you will see what I mean. ;)

I didnt mean using the DML arms on the Verlinden figures. I meant about using the DML figures to test resculpting arms & such.

Adam,

Using DML arms for the Verlinden ones might be difficult.
Although the Verlinden box says it's 1/35....it's more like 1/32the difference might be too big.
[Verlinden is notorious for that]
Put a Verlinden figure next to a Dragon one,you will see what I mean. ;)

Actually If you are considering doing any conversions in the future,..this Campaign is the very place to try it out as we can utilise this into a workshop session too

Converting that arm to bring it across the waist or chest is not as difficault as you may think

Plus if you are considering it then myself and any of the other chaps will be here to help you through the process.

Go on be a devil :evil:

Another possibility I would think might help hide that they are the same. If one guy is holding his rifle strap or a bottle of vodka and the other is holding a map folded over his hand, it would appear different enough I would think?

If you're willing to walk me through it, haha, then I'll go ahead & do it. If I could make one of 'em maybe have his arm turned so that he's holding the strap of a rifle slung over his shoulder, would be an easy enough conversion. Maybe do something w/ his other arm? Would like to portray them in a fairly loose posture, like they're relaxing or something.

Actually If you are considering doing any conversions in the future,..this Campaign is the very place to try it out as we can utilise this into a workshop session too

Converting that arm to bring it across the waist or chest is not as difficault as you may think

Plus if you are considering it then myself and any of the other chaps will be here to help you through the process.

Go on be a devil :evil:

Back