• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Persian Immortal

jknaus

Administrator
Okay I am in. Just have to finish my Pfalz first, but here is the entry info.
In light of the challenge put forth I have changed my initial figure choice. Though I'm not of the caliber of Joe, Andy, Giovanni et al. I chose this one because of some bands on the cap and pants and the shield skin. All things I have never attempted before.

DSC02495.JPG

DSC02496.JPG

DSC02497.JPG

The Persian "Immortals" were the elite troops and personal guards of ancient Persian Emperors. This figure is circa 480 B.C.

James

I hope I can do it. Yes thats Leopard skin and I am hoping I dont butcher the painting of it. I have lots of incentive with all the great figures being painted here.
James

Thank you Giovanni. I hope I can do the techniques you taught me justice.
I cleaned up the seam lines and glues on the major body parts today. Filing and sanding took me a bit longer than I thought it would. The upper / lower torso join was a real bear, but I got it close. Will use some 2 part epoxy putty tomorrow and blend in everything. Also have to pin tomorrow and then rub down with steel wool and prime. Hard part will be getting up the nerve to paint the face. Oh and I forgot to mention I will atempt most of the painting with acrylics.

So where I am now.

1%7E2.jpg

2%7E1.jpg

James

Oh and I have my Pfalz gloss coated ready for decals too.

Just a little before I went to work this morning.

3%7E0.jpg

4%7E0.jpg

Pinned and gaps filled. Maybe tonight can prime.
James

Neat figure. (y) What do you mean by "pinned"?

Tony lee

Hiya Tony. I cut out a bit of the metal support on the bottom of the feet, filed it down and then drilled into the leg about 1/2 and inch. Then used some brass rod and glued it in. You can see it in the vice. That way I dont mar the paint holding the actual figure, and when I put him on his base I will drill holes into the base. That way he should stay standing and less chance of breaking off.
James

And primed. Now its just finding the guts to actually paint.

6%7E0.jpg

5%7E0.jpg

Rather pleased with the filling. I tried stuff I learned here from Chuck and others in the way to apply epoxy putty. Kind of pleased at how it turned out.
James

Looks like a single casting James. (y)
I need what little intestinal fortitude I have remaining or I would donate some to you buddy. :laugh:

Dig down deep and you'll fine you have plenty. :ro:
Tony lee

Back