• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Black Swan

The Black Swan Back Story

Records dating to 1789 posted on the web. The pub sits on the line between North Creake and South Creake and divides the pub in two. It was a known Pirate hang out and had a tunnel going out to the sea at Brancaster. In the UK there is a saying for Credit, “Put it on the Slate” The Black Swan is in the Norfolk history books as the origin of that saying. In one of the rooms was a large piece of Slate on the wall behind the double doors and that is where they wrote what the customer owed and daily specials, hence “put it on the slate”
In the Middle Ages, ale would have been brewed on the premises from which it was sold. Alewives would put out an ale-wand to show when their beer was ready.

Maureen (my wife) lived in the pub, nicknamed locally “the Mucky duck”, with her parents from 1940 to 1953.
During the War on one side of the pub was the Land army girls who took care of the farmland. On the same side was an RAF base (Raynham) and on the opposite side of the pub was an American Air Base (Sculthorpe). All three came to the pub for recreation? Maureen and her two sisters bedrooms were upstairs in the back. Pretty soon everyone would go out back to the Bowling green and a large fight would begin over the land army girls until the MP's carted them all off. The girls would watch out of their bedroom windows. They would then get up real early the following morning and run out back and pick up all of the money that had fallen out of the guys pockets. That was there pocket money for the war years?????

Her fathers name is Frederick King and is listed last but one on the list of caretakers of the pub. Pub closed 1965 and is now a private residence

There are three rats hidden on the premises. The Bar girl is converted from a “scale 75” figure and adapted to the scene. (Ale Wife?)

Taken 2016

h425faad.JPG

Project was over a two years in the making.
Not as long as Bob's undertaking.

h2e2743c.jpg

h14aa90c.jpg

h5b9f079.jpg

hac048c1.jpg

h3924996.jpg

All comments are welcome and encouraged. Thanks for looking.
Cheers
John

:drinks John! What a great story.

I found two rats. :rotf

Fine job John, thank you for sharing this. :notworthy

VERY interesting John!!! I love to hear stories about places like this. Sounds like it was a definite adventure to live there during the war years.

I found all 3 rats. One snoozing, one on all fours looking around and one sitting up sniffing the air. (Note I didn't give away where they are :D )

A pirate dio how about that! (y)

This one wins the Alliance! Way to go on such a magnificent diorama! I found all three rats too. I truly do love looking at this. I'd love to see even more pics. Congrats on such a sensational commemoration.

Just fantastic John,

Congratulations! And more congratulations! I clearly remember that aircraft modeler that came to all those Mastercons many years ago, and always with Maureen in tow!

Since your conversion to classic figures, your painting skills have never stopped amazing me and this is just awesome! So cool you did that for Maureen. I'll bet she is beaming! Love the story! That is some serious figure painting my friend! I'm really proud of you Buddy! Can't wait to see it in person!!

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Bob

Back