• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WWII US Tanker Walking Wounded

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Hello All,

Normally I model primarily Vietnam War subjects, but yesterday my Grandson wanted to learn some figure painting techniques so he could put some shadows and highlights on the figures he is building. We chose a figure that we had two of so he could follow along as I showed him some basic steps. The figure we chose was New World Miniatures NWM-35015 US Tanker Walking since it was a simple figure with only three parts, so we could build it quick and start painting. We started painting the bib coveralls so he could learn about applying a base color, then two highlight colors and two shadow colors for his beginner purposes (he is 12 years old and has built some models and dioramas, but hadn't done much with shadows and highlights until now). He really wanted to work on some WWII German figures, so after practicing on the bib coveralls, he started working on some of his German figures while I completed this one. This is the result of just four and a half to five hours of painting. Normally I will work on a figure for two to four days depending on the amount of equipment it is carrying, but decided to work through this one quickly to show my Grandson what I was doing as he was working on his figures. This is how the figure turned out. I have some things I want to touch up on him like a few spots where I want to change some of the coloring and where I want to add a bit of volume to the iris of the right eye so it matches the left. Overall, I think it turned out fairly well considering it was done in such a short amount of time and that I did not have my magnifying lamp nor most of my normal tools and paints that I would normally use. We used what was on hand at his house and worked at the kitchen table.

100_7201.JPG

100_7202.JPG

100_7203.JPG

100_7204.JPG

100_7205.JPG

100_7206.JPG

100_7207.JPG

After I touch up the places that I want to fix, I will make a base for him so I can teach my Grandson that part of figure modeling, too.

Cheers,
James

He looks like I feel when I get up in the mornings. :laugh: Nice work, James! (y) :soldier

Outstanding, great that you're showing him the ropes, he's got a great teacher.

Would love to see his work if he'd like to show it :popcorn

I have some pictures of some of my Grandson's earlier work on my other computer. I'll try to post some of those photos some time this week. If he gets any of the recent figures completed soon, I will post those, too.

Cheers,
James

Fantastic! :notworthy :notworthy

So how do you do the five o'clock shadow?

Thanks, Guys.

I use acrylics, so my method for the five o'clock shadow may be different from other methods or it could be similar. What I do is take the base flesh color, usually Reaper Tanned Shadow Flesh color and mix it with a bit of black or Dark Shadow Brown to get a grayish color. I will then brush that onto the areas of the face where the beard would grow. If I need to darken it, I can add more black or brown. Around the edges of the jaw and the tip of the chin I drybrush the 5 o'clock shadow color with a bit of the Tanned Shadow Flesh color added for the highlights.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
James

Back