• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aurora Mummy (Completed).

ausf

Master at Arms
Another rescue from '63.

After watching The Mummy's Tomb, I'm even more impressed with this kit. Aurora really nailed Lon Chaney in this one. It just needs some face texturing and work on the open eye, but the linen texture is amazing.

Here's the disassembled, stripped parts and construction.

ha69ac31_2017-09-13.jpg

h7d77966_2017-09-13.jpg

h46b0124_2017-09-13.jpg

h028bf8e.jpg

I made a texture stamp from the leg to help hide the seam:

hbd4a8be.jpg

hd4232d6.jpg

Aurora Mummy.

Thanks guys!

I primed, added microballoons, then bronze dust for texture on the face and hands, as well as further breaking up any patterns. Blasted it with a quick coat of Vallejo Khaki before I start dry brushing.

Here's the texture shots:

hd48e606.jpg

ha7d6084.jpg

h7b86125.jpg

Aurora Mummy.

This brings back memories. I built a number of monster figures from Aurora when I was a kid. Looking good there (y) (y) (y) (y) :D
James

Aurora Mummy.

Me too James.

I've collected almost all now, just looking for a reasonable Creature. Considerably more than the 98 cents they sold for when they came out, but not too bad because most are sporting a 9 years old's paint job.

If you wait long enough, you can grab an original for about $30.

For all I've gathered so far: Frankenstein, King Kong, The Phantom, Dracula and Wolfman, the Mummy is by far the best sculpt. They really nailed Chaney.

Aurora Mummy.

At the risk of asking the obvious...Bronze dust? :popcorn

Naw, nothing obvious. I have a bunch of resin fillers, microballoons (ceramic and silica) and metal dusts. Bronze dust can be added to certain resins, then polished out to appear to be bronze. It's referred to as cold casting and the finished product can behave like metal, tarnishing, etc. There's brass, copper, aluminum. It's a neat effect. The reason I use them here is they have different sizes of grit and I add them to primer to get textured effects.

As a rule, I don't use enamels or lacquers, so Mr Surfacer is not in my wheelhouse, but I bet it yields better results than my way and certainly would be easier so I'm not recommending anyone go out and buy bronze dust.

Aurora Mummy.

Thanks Luiz!

Got some progress on Kharis.

I need to get more browns in the face and right arm since the film version was burned earlier in his afterlife. The contrast in the midsection is what I'm shooting for.

Cobra was just started, need to figure that out too.

Any ideas or comments appreciated.

ha40b10c.jpg

hee4e473.jpg

hec8468c.jpg

h7940f29.jpg

Aurora Mummy.

Looks like you are heading in the right direction Jeff! The snake should have some color (after all it is a cobra) but it should be subtle as the rest of the model is so monochromatic. Excellent resurrect on the vintage kit!

Next you should try and get the 3 Stooges! I saw a new set (all 3) in my local hobby shop a week ago. Hoping they have re-released them again! They would go together pretty well I would think.

thumbsup.gif

Aurora Mummy.

Thanks guys!

Call this one done. Hope you like it...

m63a.jpg

m63b.jpg

m63c.jpg

m63d.jpg

m63e.jpg

m63f.jpg

m63g.jpg

m63h.jpg

m63i.jpg

m63j.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, all comments welcome.

Aurora Mummy.

Well done Jeff- I really like the base on this one but the mummy itself is masterful!

Back