• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Gillman

ausf

Master at Arms
I grabbed Moebius' new Creature (and the Moonbus) when they hit the retailers a few weeks ago, so I decided to jump in on the Gillman to get the modeling mojo back.

Nice fit, it's the same kit that featured Julie Adams with a set of resin hands and arms included. The resin casting is beautiful, a bit thin in the webbing and it appears they went over and slushed some resin on it post mold.

I question the scale, it's listed on the box as 1/8, but the last photo compares a 1/16 figure and Moebius' 1/8 Batman and there's a sizable difference. I didn't think the Creature was any larger than human, but I'll go back and watch it again. Not complaining by the way, I could care less whether it is 1/6 or 1/8, it's a great kit and went together in minutes.

Next step is some seam filling (very little) and tightening up some details with a bit of Aves and it's off to spray booth.

h700293d.jpg

h70ef2cb.jpg

hdec348a.jpg

The black lagoon was one of my favorite sci-fi movies ever right up there with The Lost Planet. Cant wait to see that critter.

That movie was on Svengoulie 2 or 3 weeks ago. Watched it (well, sort of watched it) while modeling on the Albatros. Mobeus does seem to be doing some interesting stuff these days and are working on bringing back the old figure kits of our youth. Some of the kits are the ones we really wanted and others are improved versions.

What is the story with the resin arms Jeff?

Thanks guys, it's good to be back at the bench. I even cracked the Moonbus was the glue was setting on this.

Paul, Moebius put out the version with the Creature carrying Julie Adams a while back which has been OOP for a while now. I paid a little under $50 for it last year on eBay, which is reasonable considering some of the prices it was fetching ($50 was about full blown MSRP I think).

This is that exact kit, minus Julie, so you get the original arms, plus a set of aggressive arms and hands in resin. Not bad for $25 or so.

It's one of my favorites movies too. I'm reading a book on Godzilla now and it turns out GFTBL, Them and Gojira all came out in '54, which is about as good as it gets for B&W sci-fi/horror.

Oh and just an FYI, I was in my local hobby shop last week and they had a set of Moe, Larry, and Curly, all new. My guess and the time was that they must have been re-released. They are decent kits and the bases mate up together to do the set.

Oh and just an FYI, I was in my local hobby shop last week and they had a set of Moe, Larry, and Curly, all new. My guess and the time was that they must have been re-released. They are decent kits and the bases mate up together to do the set.

I didn't think they were re-released, but your shop there had some gems like the Chariot that were OOP for a while. That will be back soon.

I scored all three Stooges sealed and shipped for $60 from a pawn shop on eBay. I almost started them, but waited on flickering LEDs for the torches and then something else came along.

Moebius loves the joining bases. All the Batman 66 bases will join to make a rocky bat sign.

A bit of progress, mostly just seam hiding. The suit was heavily textured on the outer sides, so I made some texture stamps from the arm and leg to press onto the Aves to break up the pattern.

I have to get some primer on it to tell if it's enough since the contrast between the colors is so vivid.

h1635d55.jpg

hd852e6e.jpg

Back