• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wolf man's Wagon.

ausf

Master at Arms
This is the Polar Lights reissue of the old Aurora kit and it's showing every day of age.

h909b36f.jpg

I needed a pick me up, and was rifling through the stash and came across this and the Mummy's Chariot. I couldn't remember buying them, but then it dawned on me. My sons bought these when I took them on a road trip about 8 years ago, to the most amazing LHS I've ever known. We were greeted with the same "How ya doin' young fella?" that I first heard almost 40 years earlier.

Their choice was fitting, since I bought the original Aurora kits at that shop when I was a kid and here they are buying re-pops of the same kits from the same couple many years later.

To keep with tradition, I skipped the directions (couldn't find them anyway), cut everything loose from the spurs in one shot and started gluing. No pre-build sprue washing, no clean up unless there was a glaring issue, just get it together while the TV was on in the background. While I used to build in front of Creature Features or World At War, depending on what time it was on Saturday, this time I found an old anthology series called 'Thriller' that was introduced by Boris Karloff which I don't believe I've ever seen before.

h9c38e1c.jpg

After about an hour...

h45db8f4.jpg

Now I depart from my 7 year old self and will clean this up, fill the gaps and see how I can finish it off, without getting too serious.

Thanks for looking in.

h63fd6f4.jpg

(y) Nice quick project :)
What is the extra feets for?
Mats

I couldn't figure that out myself. Hands too, but then I went online to see what other Aurora kits were redone and saw pics of this kit finished. The hands hold on the front wheels and the feet stick out the rear, even though there's no connection point for it. I thought I had to use styrene stock for the front wheels until I saw the hands in the pic (both are in the box art). Maybe I should have looked for the directions...

What fun! Where is the LHS the Wolfwagon kit came from? :v (y) :ro:

Brownies on Staten Island.

Owned by the same family for probably over 50 years now. The neighborhood collapsed around it, but it was still open a year or two ago, the old man had passed, but the sons, who were my age (I was so jealous of them as a kid) are running it. Same unbelievable pile of kits and the ceiling is hidden by hundreds of stick and tissue or styrene aircraft.

Brownies on Staten Island.

Interesting, quite difficult to get to from other boroughs but easier from New Jersey. I usually dealt with S&J Hobbies of Staten Island (Gene Bagnoli and family). Google has a nice 360 view of Brownies Pro & Sport Hobbies. Click the name to virtually visit.

Regards,

Yep, that's it.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent in there over the years. Even as an adult, when I opened up the EFX shop, it was a few blocks away from Brownies, so I was always in there for K&S, servos, push/pull cables, etc. Mr Brown was a cornerstone of RC in NYC. He ran races behind the store and even got the Parks Dept to setup a flying field in Gateway, with grandstands and everything.

When I first stepped in that place, Port Richmond was the main shopping area for the Island, well before the mall or subsequence strip malls. There was Brownies and a Lionel Store and that's all I ever needed as a kid.

It's right by the Bayonne Bridge, so yeah it's easily reached from Jersey. Even where we are in NY, half the trip is down 17 and the Turnpike.

Last time I was there, it was covered with Horizon Hobby RTR cars and planes. Still had plenty of kits, but it's not a shop where you'd find the newest DML, etc. But if you needed raw materials, some obscure part or advice, you're in the right spot.

I can't go to the Island without a half dozen visits to family and friends or I'll never hear the end of it.

Back