• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Near Cheux" June 27,1944 new dio

jrutman53

This is from a series of piccies taken by British Photogs. There are 4 shots in the sequence and I plan to try to replicate 2 of the shots. They show what looks like a the remains of a Zug or Kompanie that were taken POW all at the same time. Since the caption says near Cheux on 27June then it is almost certainly guys from the 12SS pioneer Abt or the I/12SS Arty Regt. or a slight possibility of the III/26SS PzGren Regt as these units were over run and just about wiped out during this phase of the Normandy battles. I would love to know the identity of the Obersturm fuehrer and his NCO. These guys were almost all wounded and look dirty and dazed.The officer turns his head as he goes by the camera(maybe fear of retribution at home?) or shame from being captured? Anyway,great series of pics.
001-141.jpg

Here is where I am so far.
002-68.jpg

............and so it goes......

Got the fifth guy almost finished
001-142.jpg

Here is how he fits in
002-69.jpg

I likethe way the Hornet head shows the fear and confusion of the recently captured POW. The lead foil for the foiliage loops really gave me eyeburn though.
J

Looking real good Jerry. Is the head glued on permanently? To me it looks like it is sitting
just a wee bit high.

Also curious about what kind of putty you are sculpting with. Got any WIP pics?

Great stuff,
Tom

Looking real good Jerry. Is the head glued on permanently? To me it looks like it is sitting
just a wee bit high.

Also curious about what kind of putty you are sculpting with. Got any WIP pics?

Great stuff,
Tom
You are correct about the head. This is one of the reasons I like posting these wip because you can see stuff that you don't notice in real life. I see from the comparison that the head is too thin in the face,the hat is not right yet and the head is a little high from the shoulders. Also the folds in the parka are not "on" yet and there needs to be more bulk to the left thigh area of his trousers. A little clean up is in order as well! Not that I am critical of my own work or anything! LOL
I use two part epoxy putty but I don't use wire armatures but old torsos,arms and legs from ancient tamiya figures. I find this saves time with the bulk of the figures. I will try to dig up some piccies from my arty dio to illustrate.
I found from the Axishistory forum that there is a good possibility the the officer in the first pic is Obersturmfuehrer Kuret of the 12SS Pioneer Abt. I am not 100% positive but pretty sure as the facts line up for it being him. Cool when you can put a name to it a face?
Anyone have any recommendations as to good British Inf. figures in Normandy that I could use for this?
J

That is still a striking likeness. I also noticed the feet, the left foot in the photograph is toed in...

Regards,

Here is the short cut technique I use.
Got the legs I want mainly because of the boots and the torso because of the coler. The fig I want to do is the third in line.
001-144.jpg

Next I cut the boots and legs to get close to the pose
002-70.jpg

Then I find some arms from an SS guy and a Hornet head with a hat that is pretty close.
003-34.jpg

This guy has a strang way of walking and I need to modify the legs a little more me thinks.

This guy has a strang way of walking and I need to modify the legs a little more me thinks.

I simply thought the guys were limping, which adds to the battered and defeated storyline.

Regards,
You are correct but this guy has a little different gait. Most people plant their feet shoulder width when walking and this guy has the trailing foot on a line with the leading foot,sort of like walking a DWI line for the police. Of course,this is freeze frame and he may have just been making a slight change in direction and it was caught forever? It is hard to replicate in miniature and I still need to change things a little. I will see what is up when I remove some of the uneeded bulk from the onor figure parts.
J

Back