• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/35 SS Infantrymen

Adam Baker

Decided to make another entry in this thing.

Don't really have much to show yet, I'm still working on removing the casting plugs from the parts, but I'm close to finished. Hoping by the end of the evening to have the figures at least mostly assembled.

The set I'm using is Verlinden #624 SS Infantrymen. Its a pretty nice looking set w/ nice detail. The really nice thing about this set, compared to the winter troops I started previously, is these are 2 almost completely different figures. The only things the 2 figures share here, are the torso's, unlike the winter troops that shared everything but their heads.

Just a note, the figures below arent mine, haha. Just wanted to show what the set looks like.
0624.jpg

Well, I have about 8 weeks, hopefully I can get 'em done in that, haha. My motivation to model is slowly coming back, so who knows.

I have the figures mostly assembled now, and are now showing the normal large gaps in the parts, so now I have to figure out how to go about filling in those gaps. Still hoping to get painting started this weekend.

*edit* Ok, here are the pictures of my figures, although I just realized I didnt take the obligatory date shot w/ the unassembled parts. I started on 'em last night, and it never occured to me.

I have started doing some fill work on the gaps, using Bondo Red Glazing Putty, but I think I'm going to stop w/ that, and pull out a little bit of Milliput. I think I'll get a cleaner finish using the Milliput over the Bondo.

DSC01270.jpg

Nice start Adam,..

I hope you don't copy the box art for the camo as its a bit hit and miss I actually don't really know which camo scheme they were trying to reproduce

and if its 44 pea dot be careful, because they ( Germans )did not make helmet covers in this scheme

as I say good start and looking forward to the build and paintwork

:ro:

Thanks for the heads up, b/c that was pretty much what I was going to go for.

Do you have any suggestions for the uniforms in the late 1944-early 1945 time frame? I have a few Osprey books that I'm looking through, and I'm searching the net, but apparently I'm not using the right keywords b/c I'm not making much progress finding uniform info that appears to be useful to me. The Kugelblitz that they'll be posed with is from the Battle of Berlin time frame, which is Winter 44/45 into Spring 45.

*edit*

Ok, I might have finally made a little bit of progress. You mentioned 44 pea dot uniform, and I found a website selling reproduction uniforms, and was wondering if this is a pretty good representation of what would be accurate for these figures.

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=guj44dt

Also, do you have any idea if they would do the full dot uniform, or the dot tunic over the grey trousers? From what little I've been able to determine so far, it seems it could go either way, so I might go w/ one figure w/ the dot tunic & grey trousers, and the other w/ dot tunic & trousers.

I'm thinking these are going to work out better, Adam. Looking forward to your progress! (y)

Adam those pictures on the website you linked too look ok for reference purposes especially the side jacket view with the eagles on the arm ,..if you try to get that pattern and dotting right it would look really good !

However,....

The manufacturing of Camouflage smocks ceased on 1st March 1944 and subsequently the Pea dot Camo wasnt introduced until later that year so I think it unlikely* the smocks were issued in this scheme.

I think It best to paint Oakleaf or Plane tree variants

However,.....

The Battle of Berlin took place in April 1945 and soldiers were wearing later patterned uniforms towards the end of the war but thats not to say that you wouldnt find those smocks in use as the german army by this time was wearing anything they could get their hands on

I know that I probably have confused matters much further by writing this

However,.... lol

Those smocks were fine for earlier battles especially in Russia.

However,....

They are your figures and for you to choose to paint them anyway you'd like

:yipee

*Id have to check more of my material to give you a better answer.

Hey ADAM ,

I have this same set. I plan to set them in Normandy as part fo th WIttmann dio. Looking at th Smocks, Reversible, Lace Up & Elastic cuff. They could pass for SS soldiers from Kursk - Normandy. As some of The Senior officers of 12th SS retained Their early smocks as a "Red Badge of Courage" as th New "recruits" were being issued the Pea-dot, cut in the form of the Tunic & smocks faded out. Aside from the Oakleaf, & Plain Tree, there is also the Palm Tree pattern smock. It's been seen on Peiper & was not relegated to Senior staff.

totenkopf-kursk-01.jpg

From Kursk

waffen-SS-nazi-germany-ww2-second-world-war-amazing-incredible-rare-pictures-images-photos-006.jpeg

12th SS Pz.Gren. div. Normandy. You can see in this picture that of all of the Squad members ... very few have the same pattern on. So , Your 2 figures could possibly have 2 different patterns & still be accurate.
DDdWSSiE_188_189_.jpeg

http://zyclyon.blogspot.com/2010/05/palm-tree-pattern-smock.html - Excellant figure , Calvin Tan did a Palm Tree.

http://zyclyon.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html
Scroll down & you can see another Calvin Tan Palm Tree.

So there is some variation .. Perhaps when th box art for the Verlinden figures came out .. reference hadn't been unearthed yet ?

I look forward to seein these !!

:erik

Thanks for the links, I think they'll be helpful.

I think that I'm going to go w/ the pea dot camo, b/c it looks like it might be the easier of the various patterns to do.

As for the helmet, from what I found yesterday while searching, like any group of soldiers, the German soldiers improvised quite a bit, so I could easily see a soldier taking an old worn out camo smock, and attaching it to the top of his helmet, so I could see a solder having a pea dot helmet.

Dear Adam.

...I agree with Andy said : ..."Those smocks were fine for earlier battles especially in Russia"...

...If you want I´ll post patterns of the "oakleaf" or plane tree" with Vallejo acrylics mixing ratios...from the excelent Calvin Tan book "MODELLING WAFFEN-SS FIGURES".

Hope to see a good job from yours!

Best!

Luiz.

Thanks for the help guys.

I think the problem was that I misunderstood some of what Andy posted, and I didnt realize the figures are wearing smocks, but now that I've looked at them closer, I see that they are.

Luiz, thanks for the offer, but I actually have a copy of that book in my collection. I found his listings for the Oakleaf Spring & Autumn, and unfortunately I dont have any of the suggested Model Color paints. But I have a pretty good selection of Tamiya, Model Master & Humbrol paints, plus I have a couple sets of oil's so I'd imagine I could probably come up w/ something close.

I should be getting in, in a little bit to prime these, and the other figures I'm working on, to check my filling job on the seams. If I get lucky, might actually be able to start painting tonight.

Well, I got permission from the wife to go buy the paints that I need to paint these figures, so the plan is to go this afternoon.

What do you guys suggest for the non camo trousers? My plan is to paint one w/ just a oakleaf smock, and then the grey/green trousers. The other will be all oakleaf camo.

Vallejo Model Color 70830 Field grey (I highlight mine with beige) ( Lowlight or shadow with dark green )

:v

Andy

If I ask your wife nicely can you go and buy me some paints as well please !!? !! :woohoo:

Vallejo Model Color 70830 Field grey (I highlight mine with beige) ( Lowlight or shadow with dark green )

:v

Andy

If I ask your wife nicely can you go and buy me some paints as well please !!? !! :woohoo:

:rotf

Adam if you like the Humbrol enamels,you could also use 31 slate grey for the field grey color.

Greetings,Ron.

Haha, glad to hear that your an emancipated man, hehe.

Wimps...I go buy what I want when I want...and use cash so she don't see it on the statements.... :zen

I did make it to the hobby shop, and got quite a haul. 16 bottles of paint for 15 dollars.

DSC01279.jpg

I got the colors to do the Oakleaf & Plain Tree patterns, as well as for the skin & the trousers. I'm following the suggested paints list in the Osprey Modeling Waffen SS figures.

Got the base coat down for the Oakleaf pattern, but I'm thinking now that one will be the Oakleaf and the other will be the Plain Tree patterns.

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01282.jpg

I'll let this dry overnight, and then tomorrow evening after work, I'll get the second color down, and start on another section, possibly the trousers.

Back