• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MkII Scout Car (Dingo) in Libya 1942 COMPLETED

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Last weekend I picked up the old Tamiya Daimler MkII Scout Car kit at Soonercon and figured that I could build it for this campaign by placing it in Libya in 1942.

100_1102.JPG

Since the kit is from the 1970's, it is not as detailed or as nice as the Miniart Dingo kits, but I think I can make this look pretty decent before giving it to my Grandson for his military vehicle collection.

The Tamiya kit is very basic being that it is 1970's injection molding technology that produced the kit. It will be a quick build due to the low parts count, but there are some limitations and fit issues.

100_1103.JPG

100_1104.JPG

100_1105.JPG

100_1106.JPG

Since I like to have figures with my vehicles, I decided to go ahead and build and paint the driver figure that came with the kit. Here he is in a mostly built Dingo.

100_1111.JPG

100_1112.JPG

100_1113.JPG

100_1114.JPG

100_1115.JPG

100_1116.JPG

100_1117.JPG

100_1118.JPG

It went together pretty quick, but it does look very basic compared to kits made today.

Cheers,
James

Daimler MkII Scout Car (Dingo) in Libya 1942

Now to start painting this puppy up.

Being that the scout car is open-topped and I had to install the figure before I could glue on the front two pieces as there would be no way to install the figure afterwards, I had to be really careful about masking off the interior area before spray painting so I wouldn't mess up the figure.

100_1125.JPG

I sprayed it with Krylon Flat Black as a primer. The intention was to also kind of pre-shade things and just apply light coats of the Khaki color I was going to use.

100_1129.JPG

I had a can of spray paint that was just the right color. unfortunately it was old and sputtered the paint out leaving splotches which kind of sucked. I had some Krylon Khaki which was more tan than the other brand. So much for wanting to apply a light coat as this can seemed to be supercharged or something spraying out a good coating. It went on even, but I had really wanted thinner coats that I could see some of the black with.

100_1134.JPG

100_1135.JPG

From the limited research I had done, it appeared that the color should be a bit more yellowish/greenish, so I ended up applying Vallejo Khaki with a regular round brush to get the color I wanted.

100_1136.JPG

100_1137.JPG

100_1138.JPG

100_1139.JPG

Now it was time to start weathering. I applied the first round of shallow chipping and put the wheels on. It is starting to take shape. In some ways, the chipping seems a bit much, but looking at some pictures from the desert, and from my own experience in some bad dust storms, I really don't think the chipping is too far off when you figure that the desert colors were applied in a hurry so the quality of the paint may not have been the greatest and then add the sandblasting effect from sand and rocks during dust storms and I could see where a vehicle that has been in service for a while could end up like this.

100_1142.JPG

100_1143.JPG

100_1144.JPG

100_1145.JPG

100_1146.JPG

100_1147.JPG

Not bad for starting this a couple days ago. Next will be some outlining and some darker chipping spots. Then the dust...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Thanks. I think it is coming along fairly well for a cheap and simple kit.

After looking at this model this morning it looked too dark for me as well as the chipping being a bit too much. To lighten things up, I applied several light coats of faded khaki from Reaper with a drybrush and a regular brush using a stippling action. I think it looks a bit better now.

100_1148.JPG

100_1149.JPG

100_1150.JPG

100_1152.JPG

100_1153.JPG

Now all I need to do is make the wheels and tires dusty, glue the wheels on, attach the rear view mirror and shovel, and do some paint chipping on the cans on the back and I should be done. I think I can have it done by this evening.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Looks like your enjoying this one My grandpa was a driver in one of these things and untill the day he died he always sat skew in the chair when he drove his car. :drinks

Daimler MkII Scout Car in Libya 1942 COMPLETED!

Yes, I have been enjoying this build. I have always liked Dingo Scout Cars and have always wanted to build one. I think it's cool that your Grandpa drove one back in the day. I can imagine after driving that thing a while it would cause one to sit differently when driving like it did in your Grandpa's case.

I am calling this model done. I think it turned out quite well, especially since it was from an older kit with less detail than those of today's standards.

Here it is...

100_1154.JPG

100_1155.JPG

100_1156.JPG

100_1157.JPG

100_1158.JPG

100_1159.JPG

100_1160.JPG

100_1161.JPG

100_1162.JPG

100_1164.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
James

Hi James.

I always enjoy looking at your works. The step by step you usually post are a great help as well as being quite inspiring.

One other thing about some of those old Tamiya kits in comparison with new kits are their prices with those old kits being quite inexpensive. An example of that is the old Tamiya Panzer II kit that's $18.00 CDN here whereas the new Tamiya Panzer II kits are either $52.00 CDN or $57.00 CDN.

Those older kits can be a real joy to build and like your Dingo they look the part.

Well done and cheers

Done and completed so nicely on only one page? Wow!

You had me thinking about this entry since it isn't in Vietnam. However, the link to Grandpa answers that.

Thanks,

Back