• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke Back Down in Africa...

Duke Maddog

Hey all, I was doing the other South African Mirage so quickly that I found another Mirage in the stash that had South African markings on it. So, I pulled out this Mirage F.1C and got started on it. Here is the proper start up pics for this. Hopefully I can complete it in time for this campaign as well:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_I.jpg

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_II.jpg

First I added the pilot to his seat, then cemented his seat to the rear bulkhead, and then cemented the whole assembly inside the fuselage half along with the IP. That was all the cockpit this kit gave me. I also added some weight in the nose to keep this bird on her feet:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_III.jpg

After that was dry, I closed up the fuselage halves and clamped them to seal them as best I could:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_IV.jpg

Naturally the wings and tail surfaces came next:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_V.jpg

Once that was dry, I painted the pilot, seat and IP inside the fuselage and then added Mr. Surfacer 500 to the seams that most needed attention:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_VI.jpg

That is drying now so I'll give it some attention later.

I thought so too. I'm glad to be increasing my South African Air Force.

This one will take a bit longer as it has a three-tone camouflage pattern. Gotta mask it and all.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate you stopping in.

Okay, last week I managed to get more done. I fired up the airbrush and got to work. First thing I did was to shoot a grey base on the bottom of the South African Mirage. Later, I taped up the bottom in preparation for shooting the top:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_IX.jpg

The first color went on next:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_X.jpg

Once that dried, I pulled out the Silly Putty and masked off the top for the second color:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XI.jpg

....and the second color went on:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XII.jpg

After that dried, I masked off the nose and shot it black. After that dried, I removed everything to see how it looked:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XIII.jpg

Pretty impressive if I do say so myself....

Got the gloss coat on it for decals next:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XIV_a.jpg

At Hobby Day, I got the decals done:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XIV.jpg

WIP_Out_of_Africa_Deux_XV.jpg

All that is left is dullcoat, landing gear and underwing stores. I'm real close with this one.

Back