• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Duke Down in Africa

Duke Maddog

Hey everyone, I found a simple model to build for this campaign so here I am entering it now.

I'll be building the Matchbox Mirage IIIC and using the South African markings on this model. Here are the startup pics for this:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_I.jpg

WIP_Out_of_Africa_II.jpg

To start out, I cemented the pilot to the bang seat and then added him to the fuselage since that's all that the cockpit comprises! No pics of that, sorry; I jumped straight to closing up the fuselage:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_III.jpg

Later on I'll paint the pilot and whatever interior that can be seen and I'll close up the canopy and mask it. Before that, I assembled the wings and added them to this plane:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_IV.jpg

Once the canopy is all closed up and masked; this bird will be ready for paint.

That's all I have for now, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Okay I have a bit of time and so I have spent it focusing on finishing some campaigns for once. This is one of them.

Last you saw I had the whole thing closed up. After that I painted the pilot in situ and then closed him up under the canopy:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_V.jpg

Later I masked the canopy to prepare for painting:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_VI.jpg

After that dried, I shot the top of the plane with primer. It is still wet in this pic:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_VII.jpg

The bottom was sprayed later once the top dried:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_VIII.jpg

Over all that, I shot a coat of Tamiya Bare Metal Silver right out of the rattle can:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_IX.jpg

Man that stuff shoots on smooth....

I was then ready to start applying the decals to this, but then I looked at the version I wanted to do:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XI.jpg

The red lines behind the cockpit, on the edges of the intakes, and down the wing roots were not included as decals. Out came the masking tape.....

I masked off the lines, as well as the nose cone in preparation for paint:.

WIP_Out_of_Africa_X.jpg

First I shot the nose cone:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XII.jpg

Then I shot the red lines:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XIII.jpg

It turned out better than I had hoped it would:

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XV.jpg

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XVI.jpg

WIP_Out_of_Africa_XIV.jpg

After that, I applied the decals, added the landing gear and gear doors and finished it up.

Here is one of the finished pics of this aircraft. The rest will be in the Finished Campaign thread:

South_African_Mirage_IIICZ_I.jpg

Thanks for looking in and following my campaign!

Now to try and get my ribbon....

Back