• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 COMPLETE!

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
This old Tamiya kit has been toward the top of my "pile" of things to build and what could be better for this campaign? I built the newer version several years ago,Tamiya has improved the kit over my 1976 box, but it only cost me ten bucks. :laugh: It was too cold to paint anything, so I spent last evening and part of today chugging along.

hbf9ec84.JPG

hbd0970b.JPG

h188f167.JPG

The Tamiya gun is OK, one could drill the muzzle, but the RB Models barrel is SO much better!

h579a1ac.JPG

h18e25a9.JPG

Glue the halves together, wait a few minutes, grab the razor saw and ZIP-ZIP.

h3da6520.JPG

Fits like a glove!

hb64d4c7.JPG

I wanted the driver's flap open, so I made the supports from scrap PE brass.

h70720af.JPG

Glue the flap open and there you go.

h3f7dd5e.JPG

The old kit has some weird openings that need to be filled.

h25e5ff0.JPG

I cut a filler from sheet styrene and glued and filed it to fit.

h5e631ca.JPG

More to come, still assembling. Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 Flat and Dirty!

Whoo yeah,that's some serious aftermarket stuff! Improving this 'ol' timer' is just what this kit needs.

Keep at it Mike. (y)

Which markings are you going for?

Regards,

I'm partial to Ariete, the ram's head. The kit decals are pretty yellowed, not sure if I can save them though.

Well , go Mike ! I think I remember this purchase... :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Many thanks, my friends! I bought this at an AMPS show from the notorious Alan Horner along with several old Tamiya kits. I knew this was the old version, so I bought the necessary stuff to upgrade it along the way. I like this SPG because it's not mainstream and it's got lots of rivets and mechanical details.
I dug deeper in the box and found the decals from the 2008 version I built long ago. They are in great shape, were still in the sealed package. B)

The mufflers are woefully skimpy on details so I broke out the aluminum tubing and cut a couple pieces to length, then mashed them with my duckbill pliers.

KIT PART
h3bec1fb.JPG

Version 2.0
h0921222.JPG

h433af2a.JPG

hbb3e012.JPG

It got up to a balmy 28 degrees F, but was almost 50 in the garage, so I blasted a coat of Stynylrez on it to see where I am. I'm digging the 'Rez. More photos soon.

Thanks for coming by!

I'm partial to Ariete, the ram's head.

I'm checking my decal stash...

These, from Italeri's 508CM Coloniale staff care have the Ariete emblem but thee license plates are incorrect for a Semovente. Im not even sure if the size of the Ram's Head is good but the scheme is yours if you need it!
Italeri64697508CMSprueXtras.JPG

This is the kit:
Italeri64697508CMbox.JPG

Markings guide
Italeri64697508CMBox2.JPG

Regards,

I dug deeper in the box and found the decals from the 2008 version I built long ago. They are in grat shape, were still in the sealed package.

I should make sure to read the full thread before posting. Offer still stands though.

Italeri was to release a Semovente 90/53 (which I am hoping for) but it seems to be small scale for their gaming series.

Regards,

Thanks guys! Saul,I may take you up on that. Bob,it's an old Tamiya, has three sprues. :woohoo:

Having fun,more to come.

Thank you, my friends! Here's the last of yesterday's photos.

That's AK Interactive's AK180 Red primer over Black Stynylrez.

hbe3cb24.JPG

hc367a92.JPG

h5eadd1b.JPG

I really like that red primer color over the black, ought to give some cool shadowing effects.

Here's the re-release decal sheet.

hafcd27d.JPG

I think those will be OK for what I'm doing, although Saul's photos made me want to do a staff car now. :laugh:

Thanks for the nice feedback, I'll try not to lead you astray (too far).

Back