• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USAAC Spitfire Mk VC

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
SeafireMkII00.jpg

Ignore the Seafire Mk II as it acquired the sharkmouth after Operation Torch (North Africa) but in time for Operation Avalanche (Italy). Instead, my entry will be Chappie. On the right of the photo is the Airfix Mk VB so I need to decide whether to correct the fuselage on the Special Hobby kit or convert the Airfix kit to a Mk. VC.

I learned quite a bit while doing research and asking questions. There are no such things as A/B/C/E wings. The letter refers to the armament package only.

A = 8 .303 guns in specific wing
B = 20mm Hispano cannon and .303 guns in specific wing
C = 4 20mm Hispano cannon possible with .303 guns in a new Universal wing installed in all Mk. V and others
E = 2 20mm Hispano cannon outboard with .50 guns inboard and .303 guns also in the Universal wing.

While the C armament was to allow for four cannon, only two were usually used as the outer two suffered from cooling issues and therefore not practical. Not mentioned (as used in service) but the Universal wing also allowed for all .303 guns to be mounted.

Which marking set to do?

I already have a decal sheet with this marking in both 72nd and 48th:

h2a5e933.jpg

I just bought a sheet for this one:

h4724105_2017-11-01.jpg

hd8eb3ea_2017-11-01.jpg

No sheet for for this one as I'm missing so much information:

h371f070.jpg

I've done work on both brands, need to decide which to keep moving on with...

Regards,

Decals have arrived from eBay seller. Yet, no instructions were included! Waiting for response from seller:
EagleStrikeSpitVCChappie48229.jpg

No excuses now...

Regards,

:eek:ldguy For some reason i like the US markings on the Spitfire .
But strangely enough it doesn't look good on a German plane and so does the british roundel.
:popcorn

I've been concentrating on the Airfix VB to VC conversion but have also corrected the Special Hobby fuselage. The Special Hobby fuselage has lost its tail as the fuselage needs extending and the wing will be moved forward as well to its correct location. The Airfix kit's port upper wing is completed and starboard lower wing is being marked for conversion:
Chappie000.jpg

Marking what needs removing and/or filling:
Chappie001.jpg

Now ready to add new details:
Chappie003.jpg

Regards,

Finally seeing the end of this battle with diverticulitis so there will be an update, or two.

I had been looking at the production list and saw BM236 being a Spitfire Vb built by CBAF. I hoped that Chappie was this aircraft:
Spitfire Production List

Regards,

Well, I had a slight relapse (couldn't trust a fart), then had to catch up on the honey-do list I was excused from, and had to prepare some models to send to Dewertus. In the meantime, I got new items, posted in Latest Acquisitions, plus did some more research in the hopes I didn't have to convert the Airfix Spitfire Mk VB to a VC.

While reviewing, I saw this Hellenic Sptifire Mk VC:

hbb4f1a2.jpg

After more research, it turns out that, like the Seafire Mk II below, it earned its sharkmouth after it left Africa :(

he4512c8.jpg

I ordered some detail sets and replacement cannon as the coverings are different between the wing with B armament and that on the C armament. Good news is that I have an Eduard Spitfire Mk VIII which uses oleos with drag links so there is a set of bulged landing gear covers with legs among the load of leftover goodies. Yes, the Universal wing had gear legs which didn't bulge above but did slightly below so the covers were bulged to cover that. Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

Hopefully, I will have some energy after the gym to post up what I have done in the meantime.

Regards,

Back