• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1969 Daytona Charger - Marty Robins

Frank

Going to do an automobile.
H*ll must be freezing over.
Going to use an old Johan Chassis with the AMT 1/25 scale Daytona Charger.
I picked up and old JoHan box with the ford Torino on it and found two and a half chassises
in it.
h31540b4.jpg

h1aae846.jpg

Let the fun begin.
Frank
:geek

Marty Robbins cars had that distinctive paint schemes. Which decals do you plan to use?
:good:

Marty Robbins???!?!!

:love :love :love :love :notworthy :notworthy

A Man's man right there. Sang Country AND Western just to fuel his racin' hobby. :drinks

Last edited:
This is going to be cool! Saw an interview Jay Leno did with Kyle Petty about when the manufacturers would deliver the cars to his dad before race season. The can manufacturer would bring three cars. One immediately went to the race shop. The other two would go to Kyle's mom and grandmother. This was when they were still "stock" cars. Kyle said Richard was real careful with the race car because if he wrecked it, Mom of Grandma would have to give up their car so Richard could race the next week.

This is going to be cool! Saw an interview Jay Leno did with Kyle Petty about when the manufacturers would deliver the cars to his dad before race season. The can manufacturer would bring three cars. One immediately went to the race shop. The other two would go to Kyle's mom and grandmother. This was when they were still "stock" cars. Kyle said Richard was real careful with the race car because if he wrecked it, Mom of Grandma would have to give up their car so Richard could race the next week.

:rotf

so Marty Robbins racing at Daytona one year.

He took off at the green flag and passed everyone. Took the lead and ran like 2-3 laps smokin' the boys.

Then he pulled in the pit, shut the motor off.

Everyone came up to him "what are you doing?! you were leading!"

Marty replied "I can't lie, I took the restrictor plate off, I just wanted to see what it's like to run with the top dogs. You should have seen Richard Petty's face when I passed him!" :rotf

True story... :ro:

Bob,
I had never heard that story.
Would have been fun watch that.
Mike,
I have not started looking for decals. If I can find any I will paint them on, I just need the numbers.
Frank

So, after the break,
hcaa2799_2018-09-18.jpg

Down to business.
hd837ff0.jpg

h382e5e3.jpg

I had to get the other chassis parts out after reading the instruction, I was missing a few part.
h6405acc.jpg

Tires
h471ea98.jpg

Next up the body.
h1d5c863.jpg

I read on a stock car discussion board how to get the body up to speed.
Using a marker I highlighted everything that needed to come off.
hff3ea92.jpg

Back story.
This is why I am doing Marty Robbins Daytona Charger.
I found these paints in the club stash.
h17b7481.jpg

h585ec33.jpg

These are the two colors I need to do this.
I think I will have to add a little white to the purple to get it right.
Frank

I remember building this kit back in my long lost.... uh never mind, I had Marty Robbins ,Buddy Bakers, Richard Petty’s chargers and more. Turned out I was a bit of a mopar fan I guess, I had a Torino too but can’t remember who’s. Lost em all in the great divorce of 02

So, in this book they speak of how to get the lowered look with out messing up the wheel well opening.
Here is how they say to do it.
hd0b0675.jpg

hf4bd543.jpg

Then cut 1/8th of an inch from the top.
hec3f94b.jpg

Using liquid cement, (I use Tamaya Extra Thin), glue the piece in place.
h2ef4bb2.jpg

Comparison of the right and left sides.
h421fa76.jpg

hb46a751.jpg

Back