• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1958 Edsel Gasser 10-14-18 Engine Details

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
WTF?? Can an Edsel be cool? After seeing a 1958 Chevrolet run at Shadyside last spring, I knew I HAD to strike a blow for team Ford. SO, I'm robbing the chassis and drivetrain from The Revell '57 Ford wagon and transplanting them under, what else? A 1958 Edsel! Who else is gonna have one, right?

And away we go!

hb9f304a.JPG

h30bb79c.JPG

h77e41a2.JPG

The frame builds up quick and cleanly.

h66f8457.JPG

h2450b55.JPG

Since this is being built for the strip, door panels gotta go!

h532c945.JPG

Tracing the panels on styrene sheet.

hcc79d3e.JPG

h3688b75.JPG

I did get more done today, but had to quit early to make dinner for my wife. MUCH more to come, thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Last edited:
1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Would also qualify for the EPIC CAMPAIGN in my humble opinion - glued to this one, Mike (pun intended).

Ian.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

I think I would have picked a 58 for or maybe a 64.......What can I say, nothing sound like a Gasser other than an Edsel

Cheers, Christian B)

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Thank you, my friends! This is way off the beaten path, ought to be a few laffs along the way. :frantic

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

DAY TWO.

What does every self respecting Dremel need? A gas pedal!

hc002daf.JPG

I have wanted a foot control for years, so I ordered one recently. It plugs into the outlet and your tool plugs into the pedal. Turn the tool up to 11 and you're ready to rock and roll. Having the foot control means I can have both hands on the tool and the work when the action starts. I highly recommend one!

So here's our unsuspecting victim.

hce1cf16.JPG

After some strategic cuts with the new tool and about an hour with the scribers, here's our new nose job!

h401eb13.JPG

h2abacff.JPG

Much more to come, thanks for dropping in!

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Nice! I understand you have to keep the tool at high speed or it'll toast the motor running at really low speeds.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

So, that's how the chop shop get's it done . :D

This should be interesting . Surely not any crazier than a 58 Chevy...

Cheers, Christian B)

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Planning to hinge the flip front. Thank you to all for your comments.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

ABSOLUTELY Fing OUTSTANDING!
I admire the skill-set it takes to do such a modification!
SOHC 427 engine, perhaps?

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Nice! I understand you have to keep the tool at high speed or it'll toast the motor running at really low speeds.

It all depends on the load and how long. I have a Dremel speed control that is the little knob in a grey metal box and ffhave used my Dremel for years. I run it slower than the speed control on the drill, but never load it down. I also don't run it for long periods of time. If it starts to get a little warm it is time to do something else for a while.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Thanks guys! Skill? More like patience and sharp scribers. I borrowed Chris' trick of using a sewing needle in a wooden handle, gives pretty precise control. Staying inside the lines and not rushing were the hard parts. :gogo
I would have posted a Sunday update, but we lost power in a thunderstorm and I had to quit early. More to come.

Thanks for coming by.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Last Sunday's session got cut short when the power went out, almost everyone in our little town was in the dark for about two hours. :mpup

I spent most of the afternoon making the interior door panels, a total SWAG and TLAR undertaking. I traced the kit panels and transferred them to styrene sheet, then located the door lines. i used my dividers to trace the shape of the substructure of the door onto the sheet and then using my scriber, I removed the panels.

h75a2ca8.JPG

Lots of trial and error getting them to fit. :gogo

After lusting after a new soldering unit, I finally took Bob's advice and bought a Hakko unit. :frantic

hdbc1ce1.JPG

I had purchased a set of photo-etched bomber seats by Highlight Model from Megahobby and thought that would look cool in my gasser.

h82e0cb8.JPG

h4bb6e1d.JPG

The parts separate from the sprues easily and the nib can be filed off with just a couple passes of the tool. Bending was simple with my Etch Mate and the seat back conforms to the sides perfectly.

hb13ff99.JPG

h6c245c9.JPG

h781eee4.JPG

h540e2cd.JPG

The Hakko was awesome to work with, heated up quickly and stayed hot, it is light and easy to handle. A major improvement from what I had been using!

Going to put the body and chassis back together to show progress, everything is just a hot mess of parts right now. Thanks for dropping by!

Back