• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'A Day at the Races'

ij001

Ok straight off I admit that I have a lot of 'subject matter' I could contribute to this, but please hear me out first. Yes it's a 'race themed' Campaign idea and yes similar ones have been proposed before (but they seemed to be just restricted to automobiles which is obviously my own preferred genre). I see it encompassing anything that 'raced' in the past or is 'racing' now. So:

Drag boats - there were a few kits back in the day.
Reno & Pylon racers - definitely a few of them around.
Distance racers - Think DH88 and / or Macchi floatplanes.
Schneider racers - not too many but some.

Then there's a LOT of things with wheels:

Motorcycles - Tamiya & Italeri do so many
Trucks - RoG
Le Mans & Endurance cars - too many to list.
Drag Cars - All shapes and sizes from Top Fuel & Funnies to S/S street legals
GT, Touring & WTCC / WRC types - again far too many to list
NASCAR - my very favourite.

I would be open to driver / pilot and crew figures to accommodate our wonderful figure painters. the only group that this idea would 'discriminate against' is the dedicated AFV & armour builders, and I'm sorry about that. As I said at the top, It is an idea that is a LONG WAY inside of my personal comfort zone but I'm not going to apologise for that. Equally if folks queue up to tell me that this idea blows chunks that's fine too, I'm not going to throw my toys outta the pram or go-off in a sulk.

It could be a really colourful, inclusive and fun Campaign, at least please, have a think about it. Over to you guys.

Ian.

'A Day at the Races' - Jus' throwin' it out there

I got another De Havilland DH88, Could do the Black Magic or Grosvenor House the red one.

Moebius has some great kits of some of the 50s and 60s racers...built up a couple Hudson Hornets and loved them ;) Might be up to buying one of their other ones...

That's the spirit, lads. Keep it coming - I think I'd extend the definition to include support vehicles etc aswell; after all you would see them at the event.

Would love to build 'Grosvenor House' again myself as it was my first ever kit forty-eight years ago !!

Ian.

What about bootleggers....

h2750948.jpg

B)

Yeah 'The General' was 'inspired' by bootlegger vehicles but is pushing the definition outside the idea, Terry. However both MPC and AMT/Ertl did a range of dirt-track racers...

h3de8fc5.JPG

h6177bcb.jpg

ha577046.jpg

hc94e58a.jpg

Just a thought.

Ian.

Well I'll jinks myself and start a photo thread. :rotf

last six months I start something then get swamped for time

Photo thread here!

https://modelersalliance.org/forum/the-real-thing/153984-day-at-the-races-campaign-reference#316484

Not a car guy (last one I built was 40+ years ago), but stumbled across one of these today on a 20% off sale and it followed me home.

h70e8f6e.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Not a car guy (last one I built was 40+ years ago), but stumbled across one of these today on a 20% off sale and it followed me home.

h70e8f6e.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

YA know. this is a pretty good idea! When I was a kid, we had one of the Mini Coopers. My brother took it to college, and used to min beer money with it racing up and down South Carolina's first multi-level parking garage, in Columbia SC (This was maybe 1973 or '74)

On another note, I actually knew Alan Kulwicki as a kid, and Ned Jarret pulled me & some other Nascar kids around behind his boat on an inner tube once (He had little patience for kids, FWIW)

So there are a few I would be interested in doing.....were I to jump in. Like I said, fine idea...as loong as the run length is very long (year+!!!)

h70e8f6e.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Keep it safe, Rich, you may be needing it very soon !! :v

Ian.

Back