Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Build a subject and be ready for class June 1.

TOPIC: Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 11 Jun 2019 00:49 #13

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Actually found a set of MK tracks on eBay for a reasonable cost. These come with a cast metal sprocket that seems to be identical to the kit sprocket. I’m planning to see if they fit better then go with them if they do.

Progress is being made, just not as quick as I want.

Be back soon!
Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 11 Jun 2019 07:17 #14

Skinny_Mike wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement guys! Actually found a set of MK tracks on eBay for a reasonable cost. These come with a cast metal sprocket that seems to be identical to the kit sprocket. I’m planning to see if they fit better then go with them if they do.

Progress is being made, just not as quick as I want.

Be back soon!
Mike

:v
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 11 Jun 2019 10:29 #15

:drinks
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 06 Jul 2019 22:39 #16

Hi guys – back with an update. I ran into a little snag while working the photoetch. Unfortunately a few too many of the little parts went flying off into oblivion and I was forced to buy a second set for this kit so I could finish up. Then I had my fun getting the workbench sorted out and well, here we are.

Alight – so first off, I filled all the holes and punch marks in the bottom of the fenders. Nothing special here, just some plastic sheet and putty. I did this before I attached the upper and lower hulls and it turned out much simpler to do it now then once it was all together.

After that I put the hull together and went to town getting the top side together. I didn’t take any pictures during the process, but here is the end result.

The photoetch is from Eduard, and I added the shovel, Notek light, convoy light and horn from the Tamiya Panzer IV detail set. I’ll also be using the jack from that set, but it will get added after painting. I also added a couple of missing welds along the front driver’s armor plate and I scratched the spare track rack on the front glacis plate from some plastic stock and resin bolts. I also added a little plastic on the rear stowage box, to make it look like a box with a cover instead of a square lump of plastic.

As I mentioned before, I found a set of the Modelkasten tracks on Ebay, so I picked them up and assembled them. These were the snap together kind so other then cleaning them up, assembly went pretty quickly. This set also included a set of drive sprockets cast in white metal. The drive teeth actually fit the tracks so I am going to use this set. Here is everything collected and ready for primer.

Assembly is pretty much complete at this point and I am going to primer the beast tonight. Hopefully I will catch up to class in a few days!

Thanks for looking
Mike

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 06 Jul 2019 22:56 #17

:mpup
  • JSteinman
  • JSteinman
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
  • alt
"Life is too short and the sun will go supernova someday, stop worrying about the s*** you cannot change."

-Me

"We don need no stinkin' badges"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skinny_Mike

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 07 Jul 2019 08:15 #18

Its always great to see them old tamiya kits shine. It looks like you added the doodads that were needed without overdoing it... :good

• errains
  • errains
  • Regiment Commander
    Regiment Commander
Eric Rains
Greenwood, SC, USA

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 07 Jul 2019 08:41 #19

Looks swell :popcorn
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skinny_Mike

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 07 Jul 2019 08:55 #20

:good
  • Iron Mike
  • Iron Mike
  • Master at Arms
    Master at Arms
I dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having its motives questioned.

What we do in life will echo in eternity.

IPMS Plastic Surgeon (satellite member)

AMPS member

Resident Curmudgeon

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 07 Jul 2019 19:07 #21

It's coming together nicely :popcorn

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 09 Jul 2019 11:39 #22

errains wrote:
Its always great to see them old tamiya kits shine. It looks like you added the doodads that were needed without overdoing it... :good

That was kind of the goal, but I apparently caught the PE bug from MoonPup! Once I started I just couldn't stop adding the PE! :frantic :frantic :frantic :frantic

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 09 Jul 2019 11:39 #23

Plastik Smurff wrote:
It's coming together nicely :popcorn

Thanks!

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II 09 Jul 2019 11:44 #24

Well I ran into a little bit of a speed bump last night. Primer and the XF-63 base coat have been painted. Unfortunately I ran out of XF-63 :bangs head so I couldn't get all the shading done. I should have opened the bottle instead of assuming it was full :facepalm !

I put in a quick order to SprueBros last night as a back up and plan to stop at the LHS on my way home tonight. Assuming they have a bottle, I will be rolling again!

Thanks for looking folks and I appreciate all the encouragement!

Mike
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds