• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another Dragon Pz. Kpfw. IV Ausf. E

Skinny_Mike

I'm in with this kit as well

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

Been traveling for work quite a bit so I packed this one to help get started. Just poking around a bit with the parts.

hc518b42.JPG

h7b4f0e4.JPG

Not much done yet, but started anyway.

It's been a while since I've built a dragon kit and I have to agree with Bob, this is way over engineered. Hope I get it done in time!

Mike

This kit, while one of my all time favorites, is the pinnacle of Dragons over engineering. The suspension is a big wow, but guys leave off one or two of the outer tires, as if dragon supplies it why not take advantage of it.

BTW this was considered a “super” kit, and shortly afterwards dragon simplified things and we got the “smart” kits!

I was thinking about that with the tire, as if one had run off the rim. But to be consistent you'd want to rough up the other tires pretty bad to make it look right. I mean you wouldn't have 31 pristine tires and run wore down to the rim would ya?

I was thinking about that with the tire, as if one had run off the rim. But to be consistent you'd want to rough up the other tires pretty bad to make it look right. I mean you wouldn't have 31 pristine tires and run wore down to the rim would ya?

Desert environment beat the heck outta the tires. But remember DAK carried lots o spares... and it is really simple to beat up tires.

Desert environment beat the heck outta the tires. But remember DAK carried lots o spares... and it is really simple to beat up tires.

Yup - already thinking about leaving off a tire or two and beating up the rest. But thanks for the reminder :good:

Based on Doc's advice I fixed the height of the final drives. I had to pry the parts loose and then reattach. I found online that a nickel is roughly 2 mm so I used that as a guide. The left side has been fixed in this picture.

hc24504a.JPG

And here both sides are corrected.

h39a2334.JPG

I'll need to do some clean up but after the mud and dust gets added you shouldn't notice much.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

I am not understanding either Mike. Were the kit alignment marks wrong for the location of the drive?

No. DML engineered the position of the final drives incorrectly. They are 2mm too low, and since the return rollers are oversized a bit, there is a visible downward run of the track from the first roller to the drive sprocket. This can be camouflaged by rotating the final drive up 2mm.

Kit per instructions:

h38e6b6a.jpg

Rotated:

hf8f1027.jpg

Alright, got the rear plate assembled and attached and the sides of the hull are getting some parts. I need to work the suspension still but I'll do that when I get back home tomorrow.

But man, just a ton of parts. :gogo

h03d3038.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Mike

Back