• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DAK G917T

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I'm in with a truck :dude

1/35 scale G917T by ICM.

3630_n.jpg

These are the parts you do not use, I went and cut them off the trees as they look similar to the parts you should be using.
3631_n.jpg

There are some bunch out marks on a number of pieces. I filled the marks with 3M blue spot putty while they are still on the tree
3634_n.jpg

3632_n.jpg

3637_n.jpg

I brush painted on Vallejo German Grey primer on parts that would be hard to paint once assembled

3633_n.jpg

3640_n.jpg

The roof of the truck I did not understand, as in the German made version had a cloth insert, I've never seen a Ford truck that year (1938/39) with one. The trucks made in different parts of the world all looked the same. I only found in my research that the German grill was different from American version. So I smoothed it out.

3639_n.jpg

I opened up the hood sides by filing the backside and then cutting it out with a knife

3642_n.jpg

3643_n.jpg

Sanded out the putty in the bunch out marks first with 80 grit then 220 grit and finish with 320 grit

3644_n.jpg

3645_n.jpg

3646_n.jpg

Before adding the cross pieces to the bottom of the bed I drug a saw blade over them making a wood grin texture.

3647_n.jpg

3648_n.jpg

I'm in with a truck :dude

1/35 scale G917T by ICM.

3630_n.jpg

These are the parts you do not use, I went and cut them off the trees as they look similar to the parts you should be using.
3631_n.jpg

There are some bunch out marks on a number of pieces. I filled the marks with 3M blue spot putty while they are still on the tree
3634_n.jpg

3632_n.jpg

3637_n.jpg

I brush painted on Vallejo German Grey primer on parts that would be hard to paint once assembled

3633_n.jpg

3640_n.jpg

The roof of the truck I did not understand, as in the German made version had a cloth insert, I've never seen a Ford truck that year (1938/39) with one. The trucks made in different parts of the world all looked the same. I only found in my research that the German grill was different from American version. So I smoothed it out.

3639_n.jpg

I opened up the hood sides by filing the backside and then cutting it out with a knife

3642_n.jpg

3643_n.jpg

Sanded out the putty in the bunch out marks first with 80 grit then 220 grit and finish with 320 grit

3644_n.jpg

3645_n.jpg

3646_n.jpg

Before adding the cross pieces to the bottom of the bed I drug a saw blade over them making a wood grin texture.

3647_n.jpg

3648_n.jpg

And he is off and running!

Thanks guys.

Does anyone happen to know what the triangle on the roof of the truck is for? Is it like a taxi light, loaded it's down and when unloaded it's up?

ford_pin.jpg

Frame is ready for drive train and suspension

IMG_1721.JPG

some of the sub assemblies

IMG_1722.JPG

worked on adding wood grain to the bed (yeah I forgot to before I started assembly)

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

Got these a while ago for possible cargo

IMG_1717.JPG

Not sure about the brackets, but antifreeze in NA? I like it!

Thanks, kind thought coolant would be different.

I'm not finding any pictures those brackets. I might copy some out of styrene strip and sand those off. I can always add them if I find a picture.

5014270924_32cc394755_b.jpg

5014259904_621095f0da_b.jpg

dakvet08.jpg

I haven't had much bench time at all, but have worked on some wood grain for the bed.

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

Ahh I forgot to do the bottom of the bed before sticking parts on :blush: so the grain here is not great

IMG_1732.JPG

The Americans were in Tunisia not the Sahara , not the desert and the winter of 42-43 was recorded very cold, but not freezing. The Americans thought they would be in the burning sun but Tunisia was a Diff story much colder than they prepared for but never any actual freeze. I like the Ford a lot how is that kit? Is this truck also considered a Blitz?

Brian

The Americans were in Tunisia not the Sahara , not the desert and the winter of 42-43 was recorded very cold, but not freezing. The Americans thought they would be in the burning sun but Tunisia was a Diff story much colder than they prepared for but never any actual freeze. I like the Ford a lot how is that kit? Is this truck also considered a Blitz?

Brian

The kit so far has been really nice and I have no complaints at all.

As for Fords considered as Blitz also I don't think so. There is a German book from 1943 that is titled Kamerad Kraftwagen, (Comrad Truck) it's possible they may have been know as that.

http://www.usmbooks.com/ford_kamerad_kraftwagen.html

site with a short history on Ford trucks
http://www.fomcc.de/g917.htm

On my research of German Ford production seems to me to be more on the political side than just the facts on what was produced and the total production.

The Ford "barrel nose" trucks before World War II were made world wide. You can find them on all fronts and pretty much in every armed force.

Back