• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bagge

Pine trees

Bagge

Here is a short SBS on how i make small pine trees.

I begin with a thin metal wire that i bend double and fasten in my pinwise.

heb12d59.JPG

And some Sisal rope, split it up and try and straighten the strands.

hd42be3d.JPG

h0078ae5.JPG

Then cut a piece of ca 2cm and place between the metal wire (don't make it to dense as it looks better when youhave some air between the "branches").
Then twist the wires, hold the top with a pair of pliers.

h26289cd.JPG

Trim it to shape and when you are happy with the look dip it in some paint (I use Tamiya but any brown model paint will do)

he9cb914.JPG

Now sprinkle some short static grass fibers (2-3mm length) over the still wet paint.

hd0245fe.JPG

hd18b394.JPG

hbc8f1b4.JPG

Then i spray a thin mist of hairspray and sprinkle on some more static grass.

h9fdc8bd.JPG

h7854a2b.JPG

If you want to have some of the trunk visible you can add some wood glue to thicken it and hide the wires.

h5b0e893.JPG

After this i airbrush some different green tones.

Hope this will help and that you can make some nice trees for your dioramas!

Greetings Mats

Excellent! I'll be trying this out. :v

Like Bob Ross used to say, it's a happy little tree. :mpup

Thanks for sharing!

:drinks

Hey Mats! Could you please post some pictures of the fibers inserted in the wire before you start twisting? I'm unclear on how you're spacing the "branches". Awesome looking results. :good:

Something like this, it's a pain to twist it without that the "branches" fall or get stuck in eachother, but don't give up! ( I had to try several times before i got mine )

h64f4ac3.JPG

Something like this, it's a pain to twist it without that the "branches" fall or get stuck in eachother, but don't give up! ( I had to try several times before i got mine )

h64f4ac3.JPG

I use a tiny drop of white glue (carpenter glue, PVA glue, different names, same thing) to keep the "branches" in place. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes before twisting. It's a pain, but it works.

Laurence

Back