• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Gloster

phantom II

Master at Arms
A build and some reminiscing ( from my part ) :popcorn

Where it all began for me.

h360dd8d.jpg

Bierset AB. Belgium or now as it is know Bierset-Liege international airport :idonno

This is a very old place . The field was first used by Germany to replaire their biplanes during WW I and again occupied a by the Luftwaffe during WW II.
Destroyed as the Germans started retreating towards the last of the war.

The Americans occupied the ruins of what was then called airfield number A78 and repaired it for operations by units equipped with among others the Convair B-24 Liberator, Northrop P-61 Black Widow, Lockheed P-38 Lightning, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt and Martin B-26 Marauder. When the Americans definitively left, began the history of.

When the Americans definitively left in 1947, the Belgian Air Force decided to form a second fighter unit under the designation of 161st Day Fighter Wing and consisting of the Nos. 351 and 352 Fighter Squadrons.

Well guy, this is was my front yard . I was born and raised here . My primary school , the sand quarry and the cemetary where my ancestors were buried are all here .

The base has grown by around 50 % in the past . Long gone are the days where Gloster Meteors buzzed around my old house but I'm afraid they left me with the love for aviation . :D

Meteor_MK_3_Belg_~0.jpg

hd78d6cb.jpg

So, enough said

Some plastic coming up .

Cheers, Christian B)

Trying Paul . I have actually learned a good bit about the Meteor from this research that I was not aware of.

I have a picture that I'm trying to upload that is not getting along with this site :idonno

Finally got the pictures to post but I had to use a back door to do it.

Cheers, C B)

hc5abc33.JPG

I bought this kit a few years back but then I realized that I could only make the original Bird with it . Nicer kit than the MPM that I am currently building .
I think this one will be easier to build than having to graft bits and pieces to the Dragon kit to Make the Meteor MK 4 .
( See first picture ).
Not sure which I watched in my boyhood days . Most likely the MK-8 's but I really like the MK 4's and it could have been some of them :idonno Here goes nothing.

hcde9a07.jpg

Boy this has been an interesting evening with my pictures :rotf More fun that I wanted.

Pictures would not download from the card to this computer , so I had to download to my impossibly slow laptop and mailed them to this one :bang head

Oh well , here I am :pilot finally .

Actually have been puttering along with this thing for a while now . I have spent several days rescribing the rather unpredictable kit panel lines .

Hope you can notice the difference.

he75570b.jpg

hb5b646c.jpg

he569907.JPG

So, that part out of the way I started assembling a couple of things but first, some epoxy putty to keep the hollow parts from flexing latter.

hd087325.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the engines . The Mk 4 had longer nacelles than the earlier marks .

Unknown to me , this kit included extra piece to build the engines for the Mk 8 which had larger intakes .
I had a hard time finding intake pictures of both types . Something else after the fact that I had to adapt to.
MK 4

h5cc6ce7.JPG

MK 8

h28b890e.jpg

Unfortunately the kit only includes the engine face for the MK 8

hb694033.jpg

More to come soon. Cheers, Christian B)

:huh:

That is the intake? Where does the air go? Seems odd that there are no compressor fins, just equipment.

This is the engine Warren,

http://www.enginehistory.org/GasTurbines/EarlyGT/r-r_w2b.shtml

Has me a bit confused how it works but it must have done well enough.

Sorry Warren . You basically have to stick your head down the intake to figure it out .

Here is a J-33 Alison engine. It also used a centrifugal compressor .

h7d65731.jpg

A good analogy would be a Dyson vacuum with Kerosene injection and some igniters. :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

This is the engine Warren,

http://www.enginehistory.org/GasTurbines/EarlyGT/r-r_w2b.shtml

Has me a bit confused how it works but it must have done well enough.

Thanks Bob . The German design was actually a more advanced engine .
The different Mk's of the Meteor marked improvements to the airframe and improved engines .

This Brit engine design would be much harder to improve performance wise compared to an axial flow compressor . However it was very durable not not as subject to damage.

IE: the f-80/T33 used the Alison engine and the T-37's used a similar ( although much smaller ) version and they were still flying the venerable Tweets when I retired. :pilot

Here's a better look a at engine : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulY_dw0Hui4

Cheers, C. B)

Back