• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

More JUNKING around .

phantom II

Master at Arms
h34592e4.jpg

Nothing done yet, besides cutting some sprues while waiting on the KI-61 canopy :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

What is that? Looks like a Mossy with radials. :popcorn

hb26d1fb.jpg

No, just one of these with what was referred to as the Berlin radar.... I like to call a Pinocchio nose myself as it got longer and longer with each version .

This is stage 2 length .

Cheers, Christian B)

Ok, I need more info on this bird. If anyone has any positive info, please share .

h92dd78e.jpg

h0b20314.jpg

Please note where the new plywood nose meets the fuselage .

One look like and oversize rubber seal while the other looks like it could have a smear of RTV around it .

I am trying to compare it to know colors like the red in the British roundels or against the Black / Green of the propellers but it's far from conclusive .
For all I know it could be that red RTV that was so popular around Phantoms...??? :idonno

My other quest is for a good picture or illustration of this gunpod . I am curious about all these holes in the bottom .
Some could just be vents while others are chutes.
I would like to add some depth to the details .

habc8ea2.JPG

Thanks in advance . Cheers, Christian B)

Well , I thought I needed to change the title to this thread but after rereading it, it won't be necessary .

I thought I was building a JU 88G-6 but after much searching for the ventral gun tray , I found out that this will actually be a JU 88 G-7B :D

While searching for that tray ,I also found the German word . Waffentropfen . Try saying that real quick three times :sick:

Maybe JamesK knows where to get drawings but my efforts brought up noting . Guess I'll just have to work from other illustrations .

Some pix . Latter . Very busy again. Cheers, Christian B)

Well , I thought I needed to change the title to this thread but after rereading it, it won't be necessary .

I thought I was building a JU 88G-6 but after much searching for the ventral gun tray , I found out that this will actually be a JU 88 G-7B :D

While searching for that tray ,I also found the German word . Waffentropfen . Try saying that real quick three times :sick:

Maybe JamesK knows where to get drawings but my efforts brought up noting . Guess I'll just have to work from other illustrations .

Some pix . Latter . Very busy again. Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Christian, I have quite a number of reference sources on the Ju88. Several with drawings. I did some digging on the G-7 Variant you mentioned. I found only one description that said anything about the G-7 in the Squadron Signal Aircraft in Action #1113 Junkers Ju-88 Part 2.

Here is the clip:

Ju_88G-7.jpg

From this, and from the few photos I found stating the plane was a G-7 and then other sources showing the same photo as a G-6 I suspect you are still looking at a G-6.

Let me know just what you are looking for and I will try and get some drawings for you.

Thanks for your efforts Garry . I do appreciate it.

The history of the JU 88 line of aircraft has a very complicated history, culminating in the JU 188 and JU 388 .

Your post sent me back to searching through my know books . The squadron JU 88 part 1 & 2 . AJ Press beautiful books on the JU 188 / JU 388 part 1 & 2 and William Greens's Warplanes of the Third Reich .

h4b44a7a.jpg

The AJ books are very good for the JU 188 & 388 information.

The Squadron books fill their own niche but are very skimpy on information and the pictures are generally of poor quality.

The book pictured above is 670 pages account of the Luftwaffe aircraft . Pictures , drawing and detailed accounts of types, production , armament etc . Worth having if you have an inquiring mind for German aircraft. I've had it a long time and sometimes forget I have it.

More info coming . Cheers, Christian B)

While flying the JU 88 A's the RLM was already working on the JU 88 B . The amount of changes incorporated in this airframe were so involved than instead of having a JU 88 B , it was changed to the JU 188 which stands for a new generation to the JU 88 .

I have a number of books on the Ju-88 in addition to the "Warplanes of the Third Reich" book. That book showed the planes with the pointy nose radar as G-7s. All the other references I have call those as G-6 versions with the different radar antenna. The real clue is in the squadron book (yeah they leave a bit to be desired I agree) where they state that the G-7 used the Ju-188 wings which were longer and came to a rather pointed tip. All the photos of the "pointy nose radar" show normal, non pointy wing tips.

A couple of the reference books I have contain nice drawings of the version in your photos and they are all called as G-6 with a radar modification. I will dig up the info tonight for you.

Well , back when those books were first published, I was very happy to have them . Now, they seem to be wanting due to the other things that have come to light and spending more money on books.

I'll post some drawings latter with the different noses. The long found nose one is refereed to as the C model .

The reportedly had a four cannon gun tray but I don't have a very good drawing right now and the JU 188 was very different in that aspect.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back