• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USCG Full Hull Vietnam Point Class Cutter

Rhino

Super Moderator
It started innocuously enough.
My big buddy Don gave me a mold for a boat. He didn't recall why he made it, or what he used the casting for. I didn't have any idea what I would do with a mold for a deck-to-keel, albeit interesting looking boat mold. It sat around the "Nut Department" here for a year or better.

I was happy as a crustacean making my little 1/700 waterline ship & boat model kits. I've had pretty decent sales for no better than I had done promoting them since 2015. A couple of customers and a guy that runs a website that lists available model kits of US Coast Guard subjects suggested a full-hull 1/350 82' Cutter.

Mike McCabe had an idea for a Diorama using 1/350 cargo ships and Vietnam-bound 1/350 WPB's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qFusIsArTU
Neeto!

hd9500ac.JPG

So in last nights casting chores, just for grins, I cast Don's interesting mold. Just to have a look-see.
It looks promising, but this will be lots of reshaping, :stinker filling, :pp sanding, :gogo grinding, :bang head shaving, :drinks

hcfc363d.JPG

The hull is 15 scale feet short, so We build Her up!!
It's fugly now, but She gets better!
You must have a starting place for EVERY Looney notion. I also want My People to know without doubt, that their requests do NOT fall on deaf ears in the TLAR Models corporate infrastructure!
:rotf
h081f2a9.JPG

Copious amounts of Tamiya gray filler with lots of wet-sanding. I started on the bathroom lavatory on a sheet of 240 wet-or-dry sandpaper.

What a MESS!! It a good thing there is NO Wife here to cuckold me for having gleefully splattered gray, sloppy, water all over the Lavatory as a new TLAR Idea is born!

ha959de2.JPG

Main deck, flat and filled.

h3bb3352.JPG

"Don't worry Daddy, I'll help you get your bottom in shape and fit out your upper works."

Cradle on the deck of SS Rusty Bucket, I reckon.
I don't customarily do Bottoms. Hard to build, detail and paint. Always rolling over.
Too much trouble to play with, UM! Display!!
The Hull fell into the water, and promptly went straight to the bottom!
"Ngung Lai!"

hd5f5294.JPG

Here is the lower hull profile I labor to duplicate. The 1/700 kit isn't much help at this time, since they have no bottoms.

h63bad3d.JPG

I think Don's boat mold may have began it's life as a Tugboat.
It's taken a lot of :bang head :frantic to make Her look more Cutter-ish.
I have informal orders for 4 of these WPB's so far.
:yipee $$ :yipee

h3c18d45.JPG

"Sticking" the after hull of the WPB. Small short pieces to keep Her for becoming a glob of sloppy gray Tamiya filler!
I'm put in mind of a Modeler I admire. At this point I may know a little bit of what Ed Buckley's models were like. Bits of Evergreen plastic card, tube and rod. An aging Yes album playing, happily making something totally cool out of almost nothing. Ed is still one of the most unflappable guys I know.
Thanks for some inspiration, Ed! :salute :ro:

h4067af3.JPG

Tamiya tape delineates the approximate waterline of the Ship. Since I know what Mike & Frank are planning for their 1/350 Point class Cutters, I thought I would womp up the cradle for deck transport as well.
I'll pour a short Mold so I can include 1 waterline with lower hull option & 1 full-hull Cutter in the kit.

ha992d0d.JPG

Time to leave Her alone for a while. Almost ready for rough shaping (water, sanding sticks, coffee, music, MESS!)
MUHHU HAha Ha ha ha hahaha!
Ice-covered paved roads have lent today to Model Mischief!

h46b8687.JPG

"Gee Daddy, your bottom is looking really nice."
Keel in place. Filing little flaws, so YOU don't have to. :zen

h9fb2809.JPG

"Daddy, why does MY bottom have such a funny shape?"
"Blame it on your Mother, Little One."

h46b8687.JPG

"Gee Daddy, your bottom is looking really nice."
Keel in place. Filing little flaws, so YOU don't have to. :zen

h9fb2809.JPG

"Daddy, why does MY bottom have such a funny shape?"
"Blame it on your Mother, Little One."

:rotf :captain

h3025413.jpg

Ed gave his permission to share a picture of his Evergreen/Tube/Rod scratch-built Martian Machine.
See what I mean?
Stellar!!
:notworthy
:ro:
:salute
:drinks

hbfe1d4e.JPG

Working on the deckhouse & bridge. Winder frames going on. Lots more hull shaping to do. Many details to add.
I drank lots of coffee during our blizzard today!

Thanks for looking in!

he182845.JPG

She measures properly. She scales up right. She's looking Point class-ish.
I started building the 14-foot Boston Whaler Vietnam Point class WPB's carried for boarding & small boat actions.
h51a2a2d.JPG

I wasn't happy with the window frames so I've got a "Do-Over". The Bridge measured a tad too short.
hc8f1f63.JPG

Maybe it's just my 1/700 Brain, she just looks too big to me. Perhaps I should just believe my "Instruments" and get on with it.
What do you Men think?

BTW I started MY Red Sauce this morning! Thanks Mike!

Back