Start: April 1, 2017

End: March 31, 2018

TOPIC: "Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 23 Dec 2017 21:48 #97

:notworthy:
I told you photobucket sucks...

"If you don't like it why don't you just let it be"
Hank Williams Jr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 23 Dec 2017 22:37 #98

Beautiful presentation of a skill set that I simply don't have.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Randy

MODEL BUILDERS' WAREHOUSE
www.modelbuilderswh.com

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 24 Dec 2017 08:50 #99

I echo the others James- your figure and ground work is top-notch!!
  • Jeeves
  • Jeeves
  • Brigadier
    Brigadier
Mike

John 8:36
Big Daddy Modeler Blog

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 24 Dec 2017 10:08 #100

Wow, that dead NVA sure looks realistic. Amazing! Nice job on the brass too.

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 03 Jan 2018 11:36 #101

Thanks, Guys. I am glad y'all are liking it so far.

Over the holidays I did not get to work on this project as much as I would have liked to, but there was some progress made. I completed the major putty work on the standing Soldier who is calling up another who is bring up some M72 LAWs. First I transformed the back of this USMC flak jacket into an Army one with some Magic Sculpt putty. I then did the front. Next were the size adjustment cords on the sides. The final object was the bandoleer of M16 ammo. Basically, it took me 4 days to do all of that since I did this in stages and wanted each stage to fully cure before moving on to prevent (or at least limit) accidental touching of the putty with fingers as the figure was turned during the sculpting process. It sucks when you sculpt some nice details and then go on to do some more work on a different part and while doing so, you accidentally get some finger prints on a part that hadn't fully cured yet. :) I won't be adding the right arm to this figure until the main parts of the figure are painted first.

I also did some work on the guy bringing up some M27 LAWs. I changed out the head with one from Bravo 6's USMC running grenadier figure from Bravo 6's Hue City series. I carved a channel into the figure's back to better place the extra LAW. I glued it down with super glue gel and added the sling for it later. When I put the head and filled the gap in the neck with putty, there was a small line visible on the right side of the neck, so I still need to fill that in before I start painting. I will add the right hand and weapon after the rest of the figure is painted.

And since I am in a different room that has some good sunlight coming through the windows, I took new pictures of the vignette base. Some of you may notice two new items - a discarded children's shirt that could have been dropped when the family was fleeing the fighting and a dropped doll. I am also thinking of placing a dropped toy truck or something like that to convey the urgency of the innocent civilians to get out of the area where the fighting was occurring. These two items were made with left over putty from when I was sculpting the flak jacket on the standing figure. I might have to make a new shirt as it doesn't look all that great in these pictures. Neither of these two items are glued down yet.

That's all I got done so far. I was hoping to have had this vignette completed before the end of 2017, but since that did not happen, I was to get it completed in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 03 Jan 2018 11:46 #102

That's amazing...:notworthy:

Hank Williams Jr.

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 05 Jan 2018 19:29 #103

Thanks, MP.

I did not do much on this vignette the past couple of days or so as I was working on a figure of a Dutch Farm Lady for my wife for her birthday.

I did prime the two figures that were in my last posting so I can start painting them tomorrow or Sunday. I also worked on a M72 LAW launcher that is in it's open ready-to-fire configuration and is expended. I took the one from one of the weapons kits from Tank miniatures, scraped off the ring that represents the back of the closed launcher since it was a little too far back, used some lead strip to place it in the proper place and then used a photo etched can lid to represent the back cover that hangs down when the launcher is open.

I also made the front cover with the sling attached that will be placed somewhere on the ground near the expended launcher.

Next time I should have some pictures of a painted figure, or at least one in progress... :)

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
James

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 09 Jan 2018 14:20 #104

Here are some pictures of the M72 LAW in it's place in the vignette. In the background is the sling and front cover.

Cheers,
James

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 09 Jan 2018 14:26 #105

Nice work James. :notworthy:

Hank Williams Jr.

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 09 Jan 2018 15:00 #106

Thanks, MP.

Over the past couple of days I have been painting the standing figure for this vignette. I decided to paint this figure as if he were a fairly new guy with his helmet cover being less faded than the other figures and his flak jacket is the M69 version which was issued to replacements (the original guys that came over on the SS John Pope had the M52 flak vests - but then again that point would be mute as those guys had already rotated home unless if they volunteered to extend their tours or volunteered for a second tour). He has a bottle of insect repellant in his helmet band and is wearing a 9th Infantry Division patch on his left shoulder. Since he is in close proximity of the tracks, he is carrying only one bandoleer of ammo. He recently arrived on-scene and has not fired his M16 yet as is evident by the ejection port cover being closed. In his left leg pocket is a map.

Here are photos of the figure prior to me weathering him.

I think the shading and highlighting on this figure came out fairly well and has enough contrast that it is noticeable at a viewing distance. Most of my figures prior to this project were more subtly shaded and highlighted.

Cheers,
James

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 09 Jan 2018 15:11 #107

Here are some photos of the figure after weathering. I almost hated to weather him since I had liked the way he turned out prior to the weathering.

Here are some photos of the figure in the vignette. Sorry about the pictures being a bit blurry. For some reason my camera is kind of finicky in taking pictures these days. Sometimes it works well and other times it does not. Then again, this camera had been through tours in Iraq and Afghanistan so it is probably time for me to get a new one.

That's all for now. Next figure will be the guy running with the LAWs. I already started his uniform and painted his eyes, so in the next couple of days he should be done.

Thanks for looking.
James

"Contact!" Tet Offensive Vignette 09 Jan 2018 19:47 #108

The figures look awesome, first class paint job! The doll however looks pretty creepy so you probably shouldnt be in charge of buying toys for kids lol. Anyway the whole scene is really taking shape :thumbsup :thumbsup
  • tom1815
  • tom1815
  • Company Commander
    Company Commander
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds