• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Something I threw together for this weekend's show

JamesOLeary

Master at Arms
Hello All,

This is not for the build campaign, but since the subject is Vietnam I decided to add it to this lineup. When I was packing stuff up from our house to move out to our land, I removed some figures from a diorama I built when I had my second hip surgery that did not turn out as well as I would have liked. Some of you may have seen the diorama. It was called, "Bring it on, Charlie!".

I have a model show that I am attending this weekend, and I wanted to have something else to show. I had these figures and decided that I would take the main figure of a Soldier with a bolo knife to make a single figure display. Basically, all I had to do was make the base. I did end up having to repair the bolo knife when it broke off during planning which sucked, but I think I got it fixed well enough.

The groundwork is Magic Sculpt textured with a toothbrush with some small pebbles added for additional texture. I also used some Magic Sculpt to make the sand bags. To show that there was some fierce fighting going on, I placed two bullet holes in one of the sand bags by poking it with a toothpick and then using a knife to create the shredded material around the hole. I also added some railroad ballast for sand flowing out one of the holes. Weapons are scattered about as are some shell casings and empty M16 magazines.

I took a bunch of pictures, but they all came out somewhat blurry. This one photo of it ready for transport to the show is the only one that came out halfway decent. I will try to take some more at the show to see if the lighting there would be better for photos.

100_7010.JPG

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Cheers,
James

Hey that's neat! Like the WW1-era (though still used when they could be acquired) bolo knife, and the AK at his feet!

Looks great James, hope you bring home lots of bling. (y)

Thanks, Guy. I am glad you like it.

I did bring home lots of bling from the show, which surprised me. I entered 10 items in 4 categories: 6 Historical Figures Military or Civilian 54mm and smaller, 2 Out of the Box Armor, 1 Armor Diorama, and 1 Figure Diorama. The results: Nothing in the Out of the Box Armor (the other entries were very nicely done); 3d Place for my Main Force Viet Cong figures, 2d Place for AIC Fred Jones, and 1st Place for "Battle Weary Grunt" in the figure category; 2d place for my "Corpsman Up!" vignette in the figure diorama category; and finally, 1st place Armor Diorama, Best Vietnam Subject, and Best of Show for my "Breakfast in the Boonies," diorama. Wow! That was a surprise due to all of the great work and talent that was present at the show.

Cheers,
James

Hey that's neat! Like the WW1-era (though still used when they could be acquired) bolo knife, and the AK at his feet!

My dad carried a Bolo knife in Vietnam that my Great Grandfather carried in WWI. He carried it when he was a door gunner and fortunately never had to use it like the figure depicted in this project. When I was a Recon Marine and during part of my career in the Army I carried a bolo knife, but it was a Spec-Plus manufactured one since I did not want to lose my Great Grandfather's knife.

Cheers,
James

Looks great James, hope you bring home lots of bling. (y)

Thanks, Guy. I am glad you like it.

I did bring home lots of bling from the show, which surprised me. I entered 10 items in 4 categories: 6 Historical Figures Military or Civilian 54mm and smaller, 2 Out of the Box Armor, 1 Armor Diorama, and 1 Figure Diorama. The results: Nothing in the Out of the Box Armor (the other entries were very nicely done); 3d Place for my Main Force Viet Cong figures, 2d Place for AIC Fred Jones, and 1st Place for "Battle Weary Grunt" in the figure category; 2d place for my "Corpsman Up!" vignette in the figure diorama category; and finally, 1st place Armor Diorama, Best Vietnam Subject, and Best of Show for my "Breakfast in the Boonies," diorama. Wow! That was a surprise due to all of the great work and talent that was present at the show.

Cheers,
James

Outstanding James! Can we see a shot of Breakfast in the Boonies to refresh our memories? (y)

Congratulations on some well-deserved awards! All of those models were some outstanding examples of modeling mastery. I bow in the presence of greatness. :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Outstanding James! Can we see a shot of Breakfast in the Boonies to refresh our memories? (y)

Thanks, Guys.

I bumped up the thread about "Breakfast in the Boonies" in the Just Like the Real Thing section of the forum.

Here are some pictures I took at the show of it. I did not realize some guy was leaning over the table when I took the pictures because I was trying to get the targeting square on my camera centered on the diorama.

100_7040.JPG

100_7041.JPG

100_7043.JPG

100_7045.JPG

Like the rest of my pictures from the show, they did not turn out very well. I might need to get a new camera. I've had this one for quite some time and it has been to Iraq and Afghanistan. It is probably time to retire it. :)

Cheers,
James

Back