• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya M113 ACAV

Skinny_Mike

This is a place holder for my M113 build for this campaign to go with my F-4B. I really wanted to do some armor and with multiple ribbons on offer and a pretty generous timeline I just might get this done as well. I'm planning to build the Tamiya M113 ACAV, a kit i've lusted after since i was a kid.

h5f2e1d8.jpg

Its on its way from the Brothers of Sprue along with some decals as well. I'll jump into this one when it gets here. Going to take a stab at making this nice and dirty.

I'll post the start photo when the kit arrives!

See you all soon
Mike

Have you decided what unit your track is going to belong to and/or a particular vehicle depicted? Last year I had built one depicting the track a friend of mine served on and it was an enjoyable, but very long, build. What made it take so long was that I was trying to get as many small details correct as possible and it seemed like I kept finding something else to tweek or add throughout the entire build. It was worth it, though, as my friend was very impressed with the model and diorama.

Looking forward to your build, your impression of the Tamiya kit, and your weathering of the completed model.

Cheers,
James

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Have you decided what unit your track is going to belong to and/or a particular vehicle depicted? Last year I had built one depicting the track a friend of mine served on and it was an enjoyable, but very long, build. What made it take so long was that I was trying to get as many small details correct as possible and it seemed like I kept finding something else to tweek or add throughout the entire build. It was worth it, though, as my friend was very impressed with the model and diorama.

Looking forward to your build, your impression of the Tamiya kit, and your weathering of the completed model.

Cheers,
James

I remember your build James. It was really nice. I have a set of decals with markings for the 82nd and 101st airborne that I am planning to use. Not going for super accurate on this, just looking for an enjoyable build. I also want to use this build to practice some weathering. I'm hoping the fairly simple shapes will allow me to try some things out. I'll be looking for some help from the collective on making the weathering look right.

OK skinny you're 18 days late,What Ya Waitin On, "Christmas"?

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

I feel like I'm in trouble... Uncle Tony just yelled at me! :blush: Just kidding

Well the kit arrived at my house last week, I unfortunately was in New Mexico so I didn't get it until the weekend. I was planning to do a quick build, but then I decided to show it with all the hatches opened up and doing some research decided I needed some help from the aftermarket gods. So now I have the kit, but I'm waiting on some different aftermarket sets to arrive on Friday. I'll be waiting on the stowage and the tracks (coming from BNA in Australia) but it will be enough to get moving so I should be getting started this weekend if all goes well.

Can't wait to get started - I am feeling very inspired for this build. See you all soon :woohoo:

Mike

I'll let it pass this time Mike. ;)

I would see these from time to time in Nam cruising around the perimeter.

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I remember your build James. It was really nice. I have a set of decals with markings for the 82nd and 101st airborne that I am planning to use. Not going for super accurate on this, just looking for an enjoyable build. I also want to use this build to practice some weathering. I'm hoping the fairly simple shapes will allow me to try some things out. I'll be looking for some help from the collective on making the weathering look right.

Can't wait to get started - I am feeling very inspired for this build. See you all soon :woohoo:

Mike

Thanks. This time with the M132 I am making for this build and Soonercon (if I get it completed in time), I am going for simple and using just parts included in the kit. I am pretty much wanting it to be an enjoyable build that I can practice some painting and weathering techniques on like you are doing with this ACAV.

Cheers,
James

All right, I’m starting to feel the pressure from Uncle Tony! Time to get started on this little track. Kit is here and so is most of the aftermarket.

Post1_1~2.jpg

And the time stamp…

Post1_2~2.jpg

The details:
1/35 scale Tamiya M113 ACAV kit
Verlinden M113 Full Interior
Eduard M113 Zoom Set (intake screens)
Eduard Wheel Masks
Archer M113 instruments and placards
Star Decals “Paras in Vietnam” M113s used by the airborne troops (82nd and 101st)
Live Resin M2HB with flash hider

I also have a set of Modelkasten tracks and Legend Stowage set coming from Australia.

Apparently the molds for this kit are as old as I am!

Post1_3~1.jpg

All the resin and the kit parts went into a sink full of soapy water for a good scrubbing before I got started. Also found a problem with the resin interior. Most of the big flat pieces are warped.

Post1_4~1.jpg

I’ll have to deal with this first, but shouldn’t be to hard.

I’m excited to get started on this one. See you all soon!

Mike

Back