• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mig-21PF 1/48th scale by Revell

centaur567

hf189655.JPG

OK. Here's my entry. Gary S.

Nice Choice Gary .... I have one of those in my unfinished Hanger ... A long time ago when that forum closed I just didn't know what to do with them ... Most are on the lower shelf ... I'll finish them soon ... I'll be watching what you do with this one ... maybe pick your brain for ideals ... :soldier :pilot

You may have to check your facts, as the Vietnam Pilots weren't capable of flying as good as Our aces ... :pilot

Actually they did.....hence the idea of developing advanced fighter training schools. US Navy Fighter Weapons School (aka Top Gun) was founded in 1969, the adoption of Red Flag by the USAF in 1975, and the establishment of the 4477th TES (Testing & Eval Sqn) in 1977 for training against dissimilar aircraft.

Yes we had a few pilots who excelled...but they were an anomaly, not the norm. Vietnam was a wake up call for the upper brass that felt the technological advances of the new missiles were all that was needed...as well as the need for a true air superiority fighter that could turn & burn as well as travel at high speed and shoot missiles.

You may have to check your facts, as the Vietnam Pilots weren't capable of flying as good as Our aces ... :pilot

Actually they did.....hence the idea of developing advanced fighter training schools. US Navy Fighter Weapons School (aka Top Gun) was founded in 1969, the adoption of Red Flag by the USAF in 1975, and the establishment of the 4477th TES (Testing & Eval Sqn) in 1977 for training against dissimilar aircraft.

Yes we had a few pilots who excelled...but they were an anomaly, not the norm. Vietnam was a wake up call for the upper brass that felt the technological advances of the new missiles were all that was needed...as well as the need for a true air superiority fighter that could turn & burn as well as travel at high speed and shoot missiles.
Thats what happens when the guy leading it is a bomber man. He only planned for mass formations of planes and bombers. The US navy's adoption of both the Top Gun school and upgraded Sidewinders also helped them a lot.Took another year or more before USAF adopted better techniques and upgraded Sidewinders.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia " The U.S Air Force and the U.S. Navy continued to lay down great expectations on the F4 Phantom, assuming that the massive firepower, the best available on-board radar, the highest speed and acceleration properties, coupled with new tactics would provide Phantoms with an advantage over the MiGs. But in confrontations with the lighter MiG-21, F-4s began to suffer losses. From May to December 1966, the U.S. air forces lost 47 aircraft, destroying only 12 NVAF fighters in return. From April 1965 to November 1968, over 268 air battles occurred over the skies of North Vietnam. North Vietnam claimed 244 downed U.S. aircraft, while admitting to the loss of 85 MiGs." Gary S.

The NVAF Mig-21, decals I have are 1/32nd scale for a 1/48th aircraft, but I think they will look OK anyway. Plus they are 40+ yrs. old. Hope they still work. Gary S.

Think I'm going to do this one gear up. The seat I bought is not for a PF version :bang head and the kit seat will need a little work. Most will be hidden by the rear canopy frame and obscured by the canopy anyway. The landing gear is not that well detailed either, but the doors fit is OK to be closed. Gary S.

I think I may have an Academy kit seat that I won't be using. I'll try to get a pic for you tonight and you can decide if it's any better than what you are currently working with. If it is and you want it, it's yours.

I think I may have an Academy kit seat that I won't be using. I'll try to get a pic for you tonight and you can decide if it's any better than what you are currently working with. If it is and you want it, it's yours.

Wow!! Thanks. Do you know which version of Mig-21 it's from? The one for the PF version has a flat blade looking thing on the top of the seat over the pilot's head. When the seat was ejected the canopy folded over the front of the pilot. Gary S.

h0dd2266.jpg

h30f7767.jpg

This is the seat I have that I can send you in exchange. It's a very nice seat.

hafa4f71.jpg

I forgot to pull it out last night. I'll try to remember again tonight after work. I actually got sidetracked and did some work at the bench (I was mentally fried from work last night).

I actually have both the PF & MF kits. I remember reading somewhere though that there were complaints about the MF kit just being a rebox of the earlier PF tooling...so I they may have used the same seat in both. I'll drag them both out as I have a CMK correction kit for the MF kit.

QB seats are nice. Good value too. I've used them for bang seats in the SR-71 and just ordered a set last night for the RF-4E.

Looks like they used the same seat base, then changed the headrest portion of the seats.

The same in both kits:
DSCF2207.JPG

DSCF2208.JPG

DSCF2209.JPG

MF kit:
DSCF2210.JPG

PF kit:
DSCF2211.JPG

They are certainly not as nice as a resin Eduard or QB seat...but hey, they're free if you'd like it.

Cool deal!! Looks a LOT BETTER than the one I have. I'll PM you my address. :good: Are you going to be using the instrument panel? Thanks Gary S.

Back