• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IDF M60A1 w/mine roller

iambrb

h3dd4d8a.jpeg

This is the old Academy model. Going to make a few corrections/updates and (hopefully) have a nice example of the 1982 “Peace for Galilee” invasion of Lebanon

Some reference pics:

he30b479.jpg

h431978a.jpg

h24cccb8.jpg

h1f70d47.jpg

hb1d34f4.jpg

Not doing this destroyed, but found this later Magach pic interesting. Lack of belly armor apparent

h99f0408.jpg

a few more. These are from the book : TANK BATTLES OF THE MID-EAST WARS, vol.2 Note that as late as 1982, the IDF was still using the venerable M1919 MG as the TC's machinegun:

yutcZK5.jpg

uPzgoIb.jpg

B34pYwv.jpg

9ynz8Nj.jpg

3I7mFui.jpg

:popcorn

I never liked the lower hull of that kit. By the way the turret does not just drop on to the old AMT kit. I've been told the mine roller wheels are a bit too small.

Can't wait to see you build it. :good:

Ok here we go, my bonofides that I have not started this yet:

hb42762e.jpg

hc3b1bd3.jpg

Wow the instruction on this thing are terrible! I spent a bunch of time working on the hull, only to realize that in order to install the mine-roller, I had to go back with a saw and cut most of it back off! :bang head

The instructions only give REALLY vague pictures regard placement of the Blazer armor on the turret, so I had to just 'tack' it on there using Tamiya Extra thin, then once positioned and slid around until it all looks as right as it can be, go back and apply more to hold in place. Also the brackets for the smoke grenades required extreme modification to get them to position.

However, it is coming along nicely as you can see.
ha2ef871.jpg

h8951007.jpg

h27f15f3.jpg

Still more to on the turret, but looking OK for now.

Lastly is the suspension, see how parts of it are just hanging in the air! Undoubtedly the wheels are there to hid this, but I have Juuuuuuust enough AMS that this is bugging me really bad. I think I am going to have to do something to effect some kind of basic correction here.

h970ba4f.jpg

h7e485a7.jpg

Taking a break from this for the rest of the day, will try to do/post more this weekend!

Shouldn't the shocks make contact with the swing arms? Or is there another part linking this?

Quick progress, looking good Bruce. :soldier

MP, yes, they ARE supposed to connect to the swingarms...and there are not other parts! Apparently on earlier Tamiya (and the Academy copies of Tamiya, which this is), those are hidden behind the road wheels.

No Sherman, I did not know anything about Mr.T and his work, I will have to try and find it. I have better camo'd it with some admittedly silly looking connecting brackets, but it is certainly better than it was, will try & post pics tomorrow, though that may change yet again, if i can find a link to Mr. T's work (hint-hint).

Anyhow, thanks for the tips y'all, and hope to have some progress pics pretty soon

Thanks MP! I did find it, particularly his M48 build, and there some good views on there. In looking at those and others on the web, and doing some research on this older kit, I found that it was intended to be close but not connected, and hide behind the wheels. :( I looked at some suspension pics and roughed out some lugs, as you can see here (the cuts are actually quite crisp, the dark edges are pencil marks). I think they need to be only slightly trimmed, and a touch of detail added, and they should be fine.

he157bbf.jpg

I also got the rest of the upper hull/turret done. There are actually no location marks for all the Blazer armor, just some pics and one tree with them on it. Made for a real challenge! But I got them on there, and even was able to hollow out the mortar tube (almost too much, but backed off in time!)

h51ffb44.jpg

h6abc728.jpg

ha6f85f5.jpg

I have started on the mine roller, but again the instructions are Really corn-fusing, so just trying to figure it out. I still maintain that whoever authored this set of instructions went on to work for DML! :bat When I get that and the wheels done, she'll be ready for paint!

'Till then! :salute

That'll work...:soldier

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/modern/jcm60/jcm60.htm
don't know if you stumbled on this?

https://www.modelersalliance.org/forum/terry-barrow/151790-m-60a1

:popcorn

I did actually, and thanks for posting the link! It has been challenging but really, it's not too bad. I have gotten some of the mine roller sub assemblies together, but it still doesn't make sense to me, so I am going to have to do some pic-research, but hey, that's part of the fun!

OK here is where we currently sit....not too shabby! The upper & lower hull, turret, wheels,, and parts of the mine roller are just “sitting” togetherness, there is still lot more to go. Paint For this is not gonna be easy!!! But i am really close to that stage!

Note that the shocks are hidden but man they look better than dangling out there

h81a5d2c.jpeg

h0612e65.jpeg

ha33960d.jpeg

Watch that seam on the hull!

Looks good, don't know how much would be hidden behind the wheel, you know some people look with pin lights behind wheels and stuff. :soldier

Upper & lower hull are not glued in any way, but yep, I am aware of that and pen-lights

A POX ON PEN LIGHTS!!!!!

Back