• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Merkava Mk. 4M Trophy (Meng)

errains

Heavy Metal Modeling
Staff member
Start up photos to follow.

h779fd5d.jpg

Time Hack...Just a formality

h819690f.jpg

No actual building yet :(
But did some interwebs research, here are some inspirational pics. The first four are Mk. 4Ms and the last four are weathering ques.

h8a7d1fa.jpg

h901e2d8.jpg

ha0d209e.jpg

h3423e00.jpg

hba9ff07.jpg

hfb8e220.jpg

h6f7315a.jpg

h4e56511.jpg

Despite having family in for the holiday I managed to work in a little bench time this past week. Checked out the instructions indepthly and formulated a plan of attack. Assembled the lower hull and test fitted the major components.
Also built up four track links to see what I was up against...should be fun :unsure:

h677cc9f.jpg

h4160090.jpg

h2c3a5c2.jpg

Got a bit more done on the Merk in the form of the suspension components. All that's left is finishing the destressing of the rubber on the road wheels. This area also contains two of the best examples of slide molding that I have seen. The springs, that actually work, and the idler wheel that is molded as one piece.

h2177268.jpg

h7849228.jpg

he051e65.jpg

On the flip side we have the tracks :angry: I just don't get why on god's green earth Meng made them as a two piece assembly with each having three connection points that require clean up. Then just for fun they give you a little flash on the vast majority that needs to be addressed as well...that is a ton of work and a huge time suck.

h3508194.jpg

:bang head I'm currently looking at alternatives for the tracks

I thing that tracks become a problem with clean up just because of their very shape. My Maus had 3 parts for each link set. Every part needed clean up. When done they look and actually work well, but take some time to do.

What I do is put on a movie or TV series DVD and just kick back and work them over assembly line fashion. Take the links and work over one type of part, filing trimming or sanding. Don't change the tool, just pick up the next part and do that type of clean up. It goes a bit faster that way and you don't tend to miss a spot as easily as you would if you keep changing tools or processes.

Yeah it can be boring, but that is why I do the DVD's. You get into a rhythm and can kind of focus on the show and wha-la that function on that batch is done.

Back