• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SAME KIT BUILD..(LET'S PICK A KIT)

jugjunkie

This is something I took part in about 5 years back on ARC. The idea was we get a bunch of guys together and a kit is selected. All participants then build the exact same kit It was a really good GB and the amount of ideas, tips and such that were tossed around was great for learning and sharing. Would that be of interest around here perhaps?

Re: SAME KIT BUILD..

I'm in, always liked this idea. :mpup

Should be a kit that would not require a lot of rebuilding to make "right" IMHO.

I do like this- just don't make it a rare kit. Or something way expensive- I'll vote if this comes to ballot.

sounds great :) depending on the kit, i could join in on this
//Mats

How could you begin this? I vote for a 1/48 Bf-110 since I have two! lol

but my available unbuilt kits are

1- dragon Tauchpanzer
2- Dragon Panzer IV wirblewind (sp)
3- dragon 88 flak 37
4-Tamiya Hannomag sdkfz 251

All above in 1/35

5-Monogram P-61 black Widow
6-TWO Revell BF-110 G2/R3
7-Great Wall FW 189 nightfighter

All these in 1/48

8-Haswgawa F-4 E phantom 2 in 1/72
9- Space Shuttle Challenger in 1/72

couple of more small things, but thats the gist of the stack, I'm not trying to influence- just posting what I have for ideas.

Dragon or Tamiya Stug III... best bet would be a Tamiya Jagdpanzer 38 as it is nice out of the box, includes both link & length as well as vinyl tracks, and the only improvement needed (due to incorrect length ) is a metal barrel. For that, I recommend LMD.

By the way, I only have one kit and started it to test how the fit was to the new Trumpeter Jagdpanzer 38 Starr so I am out if this becomes the kit choice!

Regards,

I'm with Saul, something armor and something German. It would over the most variations in color schemes.

The main sticking point is going to be the kit(s) used. Expense and availiblity will be issues. Not mention what type of kit. So what we need to determine what kit will be used. I would say Tamiya and Dragon are the most common armor kits found at most hobby shops so that may be a good place to start. Lets have some more kit ideas and we can go from there.

B)

I would be interested. It is a great idea. I think the simpler the project, the better. Out of the box. Little or no photo-etch.
I just finished up the Academy M3A1 Stuart in 1/35. I was a good kit that built up very nice. A minimal interior and no etch. Link and length tracks or rubber band type. Inexpensive as well. $25.50 at Sprue Bros, $24.00 at Tower hobby. Just a thought.

I'm In : depending on what is chosen,

Bill

Always wanted to do a Stuart.

You know, I can hear it now, probably over a Chinese lunch...how we've excluded aircraft builders. :pilot

Maybe this could be a reoccurring thing. One time with an armor piece, next with a aircraft, another with...what else is there?? :mpup

Don't have any Axis armor other than a Sturmtiger...but I do have the Academy Honey....

Quote: "Maybe this could be a reoccurring thing. One time with an armor piece, next with a aircraft, another with...what else is there?? "

I like that idea.

Bill

OK then guys lets do this first - of what I believe will be many SKB's, on a very much democratic voting basis. First step would be to determine:
1. 1/48 Aircraft or 1/35 Armour (I believe these scales are predominent in each)
2. Subject and make
3. If after market to be allowed or not, if so - what?
4. Time frame
5. Start date
6. General rules (not many but enough to ensure uniformity)
7. Prizes or not - if so how and what - perhaps we could try and get a manufacturer or two involved! (especially the manufacturer of the subject of the build). I made a suggestion on another site that perhaps we could treat the prize giving as a mini secret Santa thingy - each participant must throw something in the hat and we have a draw at the end and each one sends their prize to whom ever drew it.

We're sorting out the start date now, we have to look at the bigger picture of all the Campaigns and which ones are active.

Generally we don't do prizes, we've learned from our on and others that some vendors are not good to their word and i don't want to get into a situation of chasing someone down. Of course, it all depends on the character of the Vendor. There are some I would not allow to be involved because of the way they have handled themselves elsewhere.

I like your throw in the hat idea. We'll smoke that over some.

Back