• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How about a History Group Build

jknaus

Administrator
Pick a subject and model its history. Eg Bf 109 A-K or Panzer III A-N or Mustang car or a ship or regiment or sci fi like the Enterprise.
Maybe make this a longer gb. Would be very involved, but might appeal to some who like a particular subject.
Just thinking out loud.
James

Hmmm Yeah !!!

The Evolution of the __________ ( fill in the blank) I like where this is goin'.

I've cleared some room on th Bench & will be able to start some of My G.B.'s ....

1) Blitzkrieg - Pz IV. E Tausch Panzer

2) Hot Rod - ? still undecided

3) Operation Torch - Pz. IV D D.A.K.

4) Under New Management - ? Perhaps a captured T-34 ..... '41

What about th Development of the PATTON Tank ? M-48 - M-60 ? Are there enough kits for that ? I know there are enough for the Evolution of the STUG III/IV - with out having to resort to "What IF" Paper Panzers

:ro: :ro: :ro:

Yeah the intention was not really a sig and not a defined vehicle but a place where we could have a developmental line up of whatever. Could be interesting.

You talking about each modeler build a specific variant?

Kind of. Lets say you like B-52's. You build one of each model. I like Stugs, I build 1 of each, etc so when all is done each modeler has a collection. Its just a thought.
James

OK, that's what I thought. But I ain't building every version of the BUFF...just saying. But I'm in with something.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HEY! have you looked into my stash? Well I could do almost every version of the Mirage III .... but this then would drive me crazy :stinker

Cool idea...but you'll need time depending on what folks build. For example, the SBD has 6 naval variants (more so if you include the Army Banshee variants)...having just started my SBD-4, I am one away from having the naval variants complete.

Most of these would have many builds...the P -38 went to an L, the P-51 went up to a K I believe...etc...

I think this is a very long term project. Let's pick say stugs. A-G with 3 varients of G and two of F, that's 10 builds - this is like a 3 year project!!!

Cool idea...but you'll need time depending on what folks build. For example, the SBD has 6 naval variants (more so if you include the Army Banshee variants)...having just started my SBD-4, I am one away from having the naval variants complete.

Most of these would have many builds...the P -38 went to an L, the P-51 went up to a K I believe...etc...

D and K were the same, just different manufacturing plants. So that'll save some time. this can get expensive if we do the 1:32 scale!

Mustang variants:

P-51
P-51-October1942.jpg

P-51A
775px-P-51A.jpg

P-51B/C
NorthAmericanP-51BMustang.jpg

A-36
800px-A36_Invader.jpg

MUSTANG X2
800px-Mustang_X2.jpg

MUSTANG III W/MALCOMB HOOD
Mustang_III_Nowierski1-1.jpg

P-51D
791px-021002-O-9999G-006.jpg

P-51K
P-51K_Frey.jpg

P-51H
P-51H-10-NA_side.jpg

XP-51F
[attachment:10]P:\My Documents\My Pictures\XP-51F.jpg[/attachment]

B)

The diferences between the D and the K are different propellers and different shape of the canopy and slightly different wing tips. The K was built in Dallas.

;)

I think this is a very long term project. Let's pick say stugs. A-G with 3 varients of G and two of F, that's 10 builds - this is like a 3 year project!!!

John ,

What about the SUTG IV 's thats another 2 kits there. AMPSCV did a STUG display in Harve de Grace Maryland for the '09 AMPS show & We had 18 Stug's there. The STUG III F was also in the Flam thrower variant - so that's 3 for the F - actually there's more than 3 for the G .... if you wanted to get technical ... :D

http://ampscv.org/stug.html

Just in the STUG III G's there were a hand full - Early, Mid , Late , G on the Pz III M chassis , Stuh 40 , The German Ersatz BoB ( similiar to the Ersatz Panther M-10 , but th stug was mocked up to resemble a Sherman), - Tons of stuff. I think We actually modeled every variant of the STUG franchise including Early & Late STUG IV . Excluding an Ambulance & Munitions schlepper variant & there may have been a Berge version , it may have been a converted STUG ,with super structure taken off ?? I gotta look through My STUG pix reference.

Plus ... what if you picked the Pz. IV franchise ? Tons of variants ( A-J) - Early , Mid, Late, Hybrid variants then you could get really nutty & do captured variants :gogo What if you took the Panther - sure at first you think there's only 3 variants ... but what about th Berge D early, Berge A/G , berge G , Panther II , Panther F , The All Steel wheeled Panther, & the Panther with th last station having a Steel wheel ? - Now that's 10 Panthers ... Oh & what about th one that had th Dozer Blade on it - 11 Panthers ! :D

I agree ... If it were left up to one person to pick a Vehicle & build the entire evolution ... it could take Years & lots of $$, Plus you'd expect that Builder to Devote an Incredible amount of time to that group. It could easily go longer than a year ... & That's if no one loses interest in th Build.

I think it would be better if the Ground Pounders could settle on a Variant & the Fly-Boyz could settle on a variant & each participant pick a variant & go at it ??? I dig th Idea, but leaving it up to individuals to do complete evolutions of a vehicle is a Tall order ... indeed !

Just My $ .02(USD)

Does that mean Eric's in?

:mpup

Here's my take. Let the modeler make their call.

If I wanted to do, oh say, MUSTANGS. Would the group require me doing each and every variant starting with the first prototype and all through each major model including blocks? just in the D model you'd have 4 or 5 blocks in the D model alone.

Now if we allow each person to make the call, I would ask to do the P51A, P51C, P51D and H models that would give a pretty good coverage of the type, no, it's note EVERY variant. And if the group as a whole accepts the list then the modeler is in.

Wacha think?

I really dont think you would have to do every variant. Just a cross section should be enough. And as I said it would be a longer build, maybe no end date. This would put collections in a single place. As I said just a thought.

Back