• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italian Campaign!

Kreighshoer

how about an italian campaign group build?

again we would have sheer endless possibilities from the early war italian military blunders (greece, albania (!), cyrenaika) to the invasion of sicily and italy!

think of all the italian, german, u.s. or commonwealth vehicles!

anything from the forze armate italiane or nation involved in the invasion of italy!

pattons ride through sicily, operation husky, battle of anzio, monte cassino (how about a diorama with the bear that carried ammunition for a polish unit? :laugh: ) ... so much possibilities, so many options! ... and vehicles in the infamous amoeba camo! ( :S )

653rd was there so I will do a Elefant or recovery elefant , how about the rescue of Mussolini at the Grand Sasso Hotel ? Possibly the best orchestrated commando raid of all time with not a shot fired !

Jenny :kiss:

hehe - yes ... and a 2m giant of considerable weight (skorzenny) insisting to also embark a two person fieseler storch together with mussollini and the pilot only to dramatically endanger the flight due to overweight! :laugh:

Kreighshoer wrote:
jenny croft wrote:
how about the rescue of Mussolini at the Grand Sasso Hotel ? Possibly the best orchestrated commando raid of all time with not a shot fired !

hehe - yes ... and a 2m giant of considerable weight (skorzenny) insisting to also embark a two person fieseler storch together with mussollini and the pilot only to dramatically endanger the flight due to overweight! :laugh:

Let this be a lesson to all DO NOT FLY IN AEROPLANES !!!!

how about the rescue of Mussolini at the Grand Sasso Hotel ? Possibly the best orchestrated commando raid of all time with not a shot fired !

Jenny, you could do a build Tristar's Storch (need to add a MG) coupled with some DML figures.

Laz

This one has endless possibilities...
Count me in on this one too...
With all the new group builds, I guess I won't be on
T & T much, and the Wii we got for Christmas is going to
miss me too. :laugh: :blush:
Shawn

Geez I think this has huge possibilities , the US paint schemes in Italy were far more attractive than anywhere else .... by the time this starts the new Priest should have hit the shelves too ;) .

Hi there.

Just a cautionary not regarding British and Commonwealth rifles in the Italian invasion. If you do a diorama with British or Commonwealth troops remember that they were still using the Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk III rifle and not the No.4 Lee-Enfield you get in the Dragon Commonwealth or similar figure sets or in the Tamiya British Infantry On Patrol set. The ancient Tamiya 8th Army set has the wrong No.4 rifle for Italy (or North Africa for that matter) but the right No.1 Mk III long sword-type bayonet. The No.4 rifle bayonet was a simple spike on an offset barrel attachment.

Italeri had an accessory set that had three No.1 Mk III rifles and naked sword bayonets in it. I stocked up on those while they were still available.

Cheers from Peter

Maybe this GB would get me started on that Semovente I've got stashed. Did someone say Elephant or maybe another Tiger? Hmmm...........

I'm definitely in! Maybe a Hasty-p's universal carrier with the recent Dragon Commonwealth infantry and a burro in the mix for fun. Or a Panther D. Or a figure vignette. :S

You're right about variety in Italy. Because it was the forgotten front after D-Day the allies had to be more resourceful. Isn't there a story about Canadians using a captured Nashorn?

Peter, I think the Canadians used No.4 MkI rifles in Sicily. I had a quick look and found this picture. Canada, Australia and New Zealand had factories supplying their own Lee Enfields which may explain why. British (and probably South African,Indian, Polish and French)soldiers started the campaign with No.1 Mk.III but may have been resupplied before the end of the war. Ultracast also make a nice set of No.1 Mk.III.Link. By the way, does anyone know what the dude with the short-shorts in front is carrying?

800px-Canadians_Sicily1.jpg
:S

Ted wrote:
I'm definitely in! Maybe a Hasty-p's universal carrier with the recent Dragon Commonwealth infantry and a burro in the mix for fun. Or a Panther D. Or a figure vignette. :S

You're right about variety in Italy. Because it was the forgotten front after D-Day the allies had to be more resourceful. Isn't there a story about Canadians using a captured Nashorn?

Peter, I think the Canadians used No.4 MkI rifles in Sicily. I had a quick look and found this picture. Canada, Australia and New Zealand had factories supplying their own Lee Enfields which may explain why. British (and probably South African,Indian, Polish and French)soldiers started the campaign with No.1 Mk.III but may have been resupplied before the end of the war. Ultracast also make a nice set of No.1 Mk.III.Link. By the way, does anyone know what the dude with the short-shorts in front is carrying?

Hi there.

Could that item being carried by the first soldier be a map case?

Cheers from Peter

Ted wrote:

My guess is either a snow shovel :unsure: or a cast iron tractor seat :woohoo:

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
My guess is either a snow shovel :unsure: or a cast iron tractor seat :woohoo:

Gary B)

That's us Canucks, always prepared for blizzards and farming. I'm surprised he didn't have an auger in case he found a maple tree.

I just posted news of the Toro decals covering Polish Shermans in the Italian Campaign while with the II Polish Corps. They are available in three scales too.

Regards,

Hello all,

This is a great idea and I would definately be in for this one. I've got a Firefly VC in my pile with a set of Bison decals for the 19th Regiment, 4th New Zealand Armoured Brigade in Italy.... Choice bro!

Matt.

Back