• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Weekend build

Ted

This one will probably be even less popular than my Airfix idea. How about a group build that lasts from Friday at 5PM until the following Sunday at midnight? A grand total of 55 hours to finish a model.

Hmm...I know it's 5:00 somewhere but the timing would be critical. We'd have to run off the TnT server time.

I'm sorry I missed your Airfix suggestion - is kinda cool, although I think another site is running a similar built at the moment.

A model in 55hrs? LOL! I can't even finish assembling a simple 1/48 scale plane in 2 weeks!

That said, I think it's a great idea, these sort of marathon build sessions. Big up respect to those that can do it. Unfortunately just not for me :gogo

Unless we're talking "subassemblies", and I don't mean Typhoons or Gatos, I'd never make it! Also, I only get one weekend a month where I get Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday consecutively. Somehow, I never get to model that entire time as it is! Sorry, I'm out.

Funny, I was just thinking about this while at work today.

But Laura doesn't think this would work so I suggest we make it 1 week.
To further make things interesting I suggest the build be limited to out of box with no aftermarket accessories, not even aftermarket decals.
Paint schemes limited to what the box says.
This would make things interesting.
I know most (if not all) modellers are so used to modifying kits in one way or another with scratchbuild and aftermarket stuff. It would be interesting to see what everyone comes out with.

Anyway, just my suggestions, that's all.

My thoughts...

This is technically feasible and I could see myself pulling it off with the right kit. For instance, Dragon's little kit with the anti tank gun and two Fallschirmjager guys, or the Tamiya motorcycle and rider that comes in their King Tiger kit.

Having said that I would venture a guess that we wouldn't see many completions if many entrants due to the time limit. If we opened it up a bit to say a shelf queen that is already 80% done and has been sitting around for a while and you have a weekend to complete it, or maybe even extended it to a month long build, which judging by most builders (myself in the front of the line) is still pushing it with the time constraint.

I do honestly prefer shorter time spans for group builds as I think you can often make them too long. IMO, this in turn gets rid of any kind of 'pressure' (for the lack of a better word) to finish it by a deadline because you think "heck, I have all year to get to that one" and before you know it, that year has passed and after all the initial hype, not many have actually completed it.

I'm not completely dismissing this idea but would make sense to tweak it a little?

I wouldn't mind seeing the shelfqueen build, I have a Hustler that needs an excuse to be completed.

Back