• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shep Paine Campaign

Jeeves

Reading about all the folks online from all over who are heartily saddened at the passing of this legend, it really hit me that he has influenced us all...whether through his books- or in my case- the insert that came in the B-17 kit-- way before there was such an amazing online presence of communities where we all can gather to share and discuss the hobby- we all in some way tried to emulate something we saw from his mountain of great work.

In honor of the man- and in what he instilled in each of us in some way- I would like to suggest some sort of tribute build. Whether it be a large diorama, smaller vignette, or some single piece-- we have all learned from the man- and it would be cool to do something in his honor. Since this is just a suggestion and nothing concrete by any means-- it could be a future CTA build where we donate proceeds to his Shep Paine Education Fund...or it could simply just be a typical group build where we just take what we've picked up-- much like Terry's Modeling for Competition idea...

Just something I had bouncing around all day while I was at my daughter's horse show...he meant a lot to all of us whether we knew him personally or not...and I'd like to do something like this in tribute...

I'm definitely in. Not only in, but know exactly what I'd do.

When I was about 12 or so, I spent three weeks allowance on a quart of resin, tint and hardener and what felt like the better part of a weekend shaping blue resin around a Monogram SBD to mimic his dio.

I can still see the silly box lined with tin foil as I kept scooping it up to make waves. My father would check in on me every so often as I stood guard, waiting for signs of it hardening. I don't know if it was a bad batch, too much tint, too little hardener, but I shaped and picked at the resin for hours on end (in an unventilated basement), until I was forced to go to bed. It must have well over a half day's worth of messing around and in the end it was a complete fail.

Always wanted to do that one again, with my current level of ability.

I'd be up to it after all I bought His Dio Book so I could do the one I'm working on ... Not one of His subjects so ... if it has to be a Shep Paine Dio I'll pick one that I like ... :woohoo: :( :( :(

Not sure specifics yet...just thought I'd post and see what folks thought. I'd think this one would be a year build....6 months at the least to do it justice...not sure where it would fit in-- but something for next year hopefully...

Excellent ideam,,,I would go for the dio or vignette rather than the single lets be honest thats what he was most famous for promoting.

CTA for the education fund sounds like a wonderful idea too

I had the overnight to think on this a bit....I'm thinking this should be separated from CTA for a few reasons...

1. CTA is usually shorter term...not 6-12 months which this build I think would need to be.

2. CTA has involved prizes which is not really my motivation for thinking this up or getting others involved-- this one is more so just a way to honor the man who has inspired us all- more of a memorial type build.

3. CTA in the past has helped, in its intent anyways whether indirectly or not, members of MA...like in helping Kenny and Ian getting the training this last time around.

I still like the idea of somehow generating a donation to Shep's fund though...so maybe this could just be a GB- but one with a suggested donation entry fee...the money raised would go to the fund- but it would just be to participate in something that Shep might've liked to see--modelers unified in advancing the hobby and having fun working towards a common goal- to create a diorama that tells a good story...

I think you nailed it Mike ... Entry fee yes, to the education fund yes, prizes no ... A memorial build every year would be a great tribute ... (y)

I agree Mike.

Honoring Shep isn't really a 'call to arms', it's recognition of how the man has influenced modelers. A simple entry fee showing thanks, donated en masse to his fund from either MA or just 'a group of thankful modelers' would be ideal in my mind.

Perhaps the finished builds could be gather in a thread without comments, just an introduction and posted prominently on the front page.

Maybe shoot for completion on the first anniversary of his passing?

I agree Mike.

Honoring Shep isn't really a 'call to arms', it's recognition of how the man has influenced modelers. A simple entry fee showing thanks, donated en masse to his fund from either MA or just 'a group of thankful modelers' would be ideal in my mind.

Perhaps the finished builds could be gather in a thread without comments, just an introduction and posted prominently on the front page.

Maybe shoot for completion on the first anniversary of his passing?

I could go with this. Don't think contest/prize drawing should be tied to Shep Paine tribute build.

I'm willing to head this up if need be since it was my thoughts...although I'm by no means more than an amateur at dioramas...if that. Does MA already have a portal set up for things like this for donations- if not, is it easy to set up?

I like Jeff's idea of ending it next Aug. 1st...so my question is should we make this a 6 month or 12 month build- and is it something we can make work in the schedule? I don't want to step on any mods' toes....so I'll just leave it at this-- I'd like to see this happen and am willing to do as much or as little as you folks want...

If we go this route then what I would like to suggest that we honor all of those who went before. All the wonderful modelers and artists that had an influence in what, how and why we build. I think we could start as far back as Tom W. and continue this for a while. I think it is good to honor those that have gone on. Shep is just one of the most iconic figures that really made a difference.

We have a memorial build gallery. I suggest that we might add Shep Paine to that gallery and whoever wishes to do a tribute to him can do it there. If there is a Shep Paine education fund give to it directly instead of doing something extra here. CTA has had it's day and let's face it to do a tribute to Shep Paine you would need to do a diorama. Anything else would be short changing his memory.

B)

We have a memorial build gallery. I suggest that we might add Shep Paine to that gallery and whoever wishes to do a tribute to him can do it there. If there is a Shep Paine education fund give to it directly instead of doing something extra here. CTA has had it's day and let's face it to do a tribute to Shep Paine you would need to do a diorama. Anything else would be short changing his memory.

B)

excellent point. I agree, Terry

I do see your point...and that's fine if we don't do a dedicated build to specifically raise money for the fund. I'd still like to propose an official build though-- there does seem to be interest and speaking for myself, I get s lot more out of building where there is a common goal to share with fellow modelers...and it does build a sense of community-- would it be possible to set something up in the schedule...if not the end of this year- then to begin next year?

This would be a purely diorama build. Starting next August that way the participants can collect what they will need to complete the diorama. Campaign to last one year.

?

We can maybe include fignettes also. I surely would not want to try a Dio before I do a vignette or 2

Back