• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

State of the Art: Then and Now

Sharkmouth

Information Overload
Staff member
Looking at Terry's Eagle Quest goodies, I saw Meng's A7V in there and, sure enough, I found an untouched Tauro A7V kit in my stash. This brought me to thinking of a campaign idea.

Many kits which were state of the art at the time of their release have been left in the dust by recent products (sometimes the same manufacturer!).

Examples:
[ul]
[li]Academy 1/48th scale MiG-29 left Monogram's kit in the dust but it is not even in the rear view mirror of Great Wall hobby's kit.[/li]
[li]Tamiya's early 1/48th scale A6M Zero pales compared to their latest A^M kits.[/li]
[li]RPM's 1/35th scale FT-17 kit replaced by Meng's FT-17.[/li]
[li]Tamiya's M42 Duster replaced by AFV Club's Duster.[/li]
[li]Academy's 1/48th scale MiG-21 replaced by Eduard's Fishbeds.[/li]
[li]ESCI's MiG-23 replaced by Trumpeter's Floggers.[/li]
[li]Hasegawa's 32nd scale Bf 109E not even close to Cyber-Hobby's (Dragon's) Bf 109E.[/li]
[li]Revell's 1/72nd scale F-16C replaced by Tamiya's Falcon.[/li]
[li]Tamiya's 1/35th scale T-72 doesn't compare to Trumpeter's T-72 series.[/li]
[li]The list goes on Ad Nauseum.[/li]
[/ul]

It would be great to see the improvements of the latest to the kits they dethroned. Yet, not everyone can afford to buy both kits so... maybe rules have to be flexible enough to allow for it?

Allowing a (partial or completely) built kit for one or the other comparison.
Allowing people to pair up with each taking a different kit.

[Update] I know many people add their own touches as well as aftermarket to their kits. Please make mention of it and try to show why you would improve the kit. Build do not need to be out of the box. Personally, if someone can build an older kit with updates which makes it almost as equal (if not the equal or better) to the newer kit, that would be very useful especially if the end price is less than the newer kit (with or without similar updates).

Although I won't be participating, it will be fun to watch!

Regards,

To make things easier, even though I am not participating with a build, I will be happy to dig up any kit I have to help (be it the older or newer one). You already know I won't mind taking photos to match those presented.

I also added to the original post so you might want to read the update.

Regards,

Oh man, I'm always either way too late or way too early. I did an ancient Airfix Panzer IV next to a Dragon Panzer IV F-2 some time back. I'm not sure if I have anything else what would fit in this Campaign. I'll have to look.

One example is the old Revell Mosquito in 1/32 compared to the soon to be out Tamiya and HK offerings. I have the former.

Then I have an absolutely ancient Tamiys Stug III and several of the newer Dragon Stug III varients.

Another one is the ancient Tamiya Kubelwagen vs the newer Tamiya Kubel. In addition there are the Hasegawa Kubelwagen kits all in 1/35 scale.

Back