• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aleutian Islands Campaign

nerdling

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. But what about a campaign based around the Aleutian Islands. I thoughts are if it was used for any purpose during that campaign then it would fit into this category. This could be aircraft, ships, armor, softskin, figures. Anybody up for trying it out.

It would be educational. Only part of North America that fell to Japanese control. Those islands being taken was what prompted the building of the Alaskan highway so they could get mobilized in the area.

It would be educational. Only part of North America that fell to Japanese control. Those islands being taken was what prompted the building of the Alaskan highway so they could get mobilized in the area.

Exactly. Hmm I wonder if we should expand this to include that as well :hmmm You know you want to sign up Bob :evil:

Just thought I would post a few photos to get some ideas brewing. I also have some more but they come from Life Magazine and not sure if I should post those or not. Thoughs on that Bob.

battle_aleutians14.jpg

battle_aleutians1.jpg

American_soldiers_transported.jpg

air_catalina9.jpg

h42540.jpg

This next set is all stuff from Life Magazine. You will notice that these planes are all badly weathered. Also look at the landing gear legs on some of the P-40s. They are zinc chromate I think.

4c08473b22ab9107_large.jpg

9dfd9151e1b59078_large.jpg

343rdFGAdakSpring1943001a-1.jpg

951a2bdecf44f3a7_large.jpg

Aleutians.jpg

fd9ac06f6bfac27d_large.jpg

You will notice the volcanic ash that is the main culprit for the aircraft being so weathered.

Tigers.jpg

Tigers2.jpg

Tigers3.jpg

Tigers6.jpg

Tigers11.jpg

Tigers9.jpg

Tigers8.jpg

Tigers7.jpg

Just found a great link to somebodies collection of Aleutian Campaign model builds.

http://aleutianplanes.com/

There were seven RCAF squadrons operating in the Aleutian campaign :
8(BR) Bolingbroke I
111(F) Kittyhawk I and IV and P-40K Warhawk
(these two squadrons were known as "X" Wing)
118(F) Kittyhawk I
115(BR) Bolingbroke I
(these two squadrons were known as "Y" Wing)
135(F) Hurricane XII
149(TB) Beaufort I
14(F) Kittyhawk I and P-40K Warhawk

Ten RCAF pilots from 111(F) Sqn flew as "F" Flight with the 11th Pursuit Squadron USAAF. S/L K.A. Boomer scored the only RCAF aerial victory when he shot down a Zero floatplane over Kiska.

Twelve RCAF pilots from 14(F) Sqn flew as "B" Flight with the 11th Pursuit Squadron USAAF.

Some other RCAF types that put in an appearance in Alaska were the Stranraer, Canso, Norseman and Harvard.

The Canadian Army also contributed the 13th Infantry Brigade to Operation COTTAGE, the invasion of Kiska. It consisted of :
The Canadian Fusiliers
The Winnipeg Grenadiers
The Rocky Mountain Rangers
Le Regiment de Hull
24th Field Regiment RCA
46th Light AA Battery
24th Field Company RCE
One company of The St. John Fusiliers (MG)
25th Field Ambulance RCAMC

The Canadians wore US Army coats and web gear over their standard battle dress and US steel helmets. Officers had US style rank insignia on their helmets. Canadian weapons were largely retained with Canadian officers being issued US .30 carbines as personal weapons, 81mm mortars replacing the 3 in and the 75mm pack howitzer replacing some of the 25 pdrs.

Also deployed was the 1st Special Service Force, a Canadian-US commando style unit trained in mountain, amphibious and airborne warfare.

Marine General Holland Smith, commander of the amphibious training program for the invasion, considered the Canadians to be as well trained and disciplined as his Marines, much better that their US Army counterparts.

Cheers,
Rich

Back