• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Seize The Day, Clear The Stash.

ausf

Master at Arms
Okay, I'm responding to a Moon Puppy prompt here and proposing a simultaneous 24 hr campaign.

About ten years ago on the original FSM forum, I hosted a 24 group build in the armor section, called Mad Tiger Day. It was an OOB 1/72 Tiger built 12:01 AM to 11:59 PM (local time zones) on August 8th (I believe it was either Wittmann's birthday or the day he was killed). There were 22 participants from all over the world (the Australians started first) and was the most viewed event in the forum's history.

It was a complete blast, it was the same kit with the same problems, but 22 different outcomes. It was strictly limited to what was in the box, but any mods were okay and there was no lack of ingenuity.

For this one, I think taking an old dog of a kit from your stash and getting it done once and for all would be pretty cool. Sprue to decals in 24 hrs, same day as everyone else (local time zones). February after the Superbowl is a pretty slow time, at least in the Northern Hemisphere. Not much to do on a cold weekend night, why not wrestle with a kit for laughs. Progress posting is what's important, no matter how crude it is. That was half the fun.

Do you have an old Airfix Spit? Revell AG Heinkel? Old Type VIIC? Monogram anything? Polar light Enterprise? 007 with Oddjob?
We all have something hanging around that we have no intention of building, right?

What'da think, sirs?

I am definitely up for something like this since I missed the first one. Are you proposing we all build the same kit or just any one from our stash? I will be all done with firewood then and just hibernating anyways so this would be a blast...

Sounds like fun!! I'd be in!

I think it would be best for everyone to build the same kit, something small like the 1/72 tank mentioned for the first one would be good.

I am definitely up for something like this since I missed the first one. Are you proposing we all build the same kit or just any one from our stash? I will be all done with firewood then and just hibernating anyways so this would be a blast...

Adam, Jeff said anything goes. I think we'll have greater participation if we can just grab something from the stash.

I think it's a superb idea - I won't commit to it, but I'll do all I can to help make it happen.

Ian

I'd be up for it...been meaning to slap together that Pocher '32 Rolls Royce I bought a few years ago...

Tom

Wow, I'm glad to see there is interest.

Ideally, it would be the same kit, but since this isn't locked down to one forum, I think a stash dog would get the most participation.

The idea is to build like you did when you were a kid (if you did), no prep, no exhaustive research, just quick and fun. To be totally accurate, we should blow it up with firecrackers on the 24th hour. :geek

I wouldn't be opposed to a same kit idea down the line. I can get 1/72 Airfix AC for about $3.50 wholesale. With enough time and advance sign up, we could get the exact kit in everyone's hands and do this that way too.

Nerdling, don't worry about a hobby area for this, during MTD, one bloke in Oz started his in the pub after midnight, another in the Phillipines built his on the side of a mountain while on holiday. B)

The main thing is having fun, not the result, and plenty of pics and posts during the period.

The original was midnight to midnight, which added to the fun, but it might be easier to do something like 9PM to 9PM so it wouldn't lead to too much sleep deprivation. Glue up Saturday night, paint and finish Sunday. Sounds easy right? :evil:

I'll run with whatever you decide Jeff...this one seems to be more about the experience in my opinion. The only real advantage to this in relation to doing it back when we were kids is we get to build with each other in real time on the interwebs as opposed to having to send each other pics in letters ;)

...this one seems to be more about the experience in my opinion. The only real advantage to this in relation to doing it back when we were kids is we get to build with each other in real time on the interwebs as opposed to having to send each other pics in letters ;)

Exactly Mike. MTD was like combining a group build with the online participation of a Secret Santa opening. Best of both worlds. The real fun was reading the panicked stuff, 'I broke the barrel!..Plan B!'.

Phroosh forgot or lost his road wheels, so he put his Tiger up on blocks and claimed it was parked overnight in a bad part of Leningrad. :D

I hear ya MP, I don't see a lot of midnights anymore, sunrises, yes, midnights, no.

To be totally accurate, we should blow it up with firecrackers on the 24th hour. :geek

Firecrackers are hard to come by here in Canada so I had to hang mine from trees and shoot them down with my pellet gun. :D

I wouldn't be opposed to a same kit idea down the line. I can get 1/72 Airfix AC for about $3.50 wholesale. With enough time and advance sign up, we could get the exact kit in everyone's hands and do this that way too.

That sounds like a great idea. (y)

The original was midnight to midnight, which added to the fun, but it might be easier to do something like 9PM to 9PM so it wouldn't lead to too much sleep deprivation. Glue up Saturday night, paint and finish Sunday. Sounds easy right? :evil:

9pm to 9pm would be great. Wife is usually in bed by 9:30! :snoopy

How about putting up a poll?

Pellet gun works, ;)
Firecrackers aren't easy to get in NY either, but those mini Estes rocket engines are. :soldier If only I had a Komet or V1 in my stash...

Yeah, 9PM on a Saturday usually means all the work and dinner is done and my wife has had enough of me for the day.

I guess the poll is the next step or do I wait for more input?

Back